In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stock Blanks

demo-dandemo-dan Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a couple trees that i would like to cut to stock blank specs. Does anbody know of the proper length and such? Also how to stack them.

Comments

• Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.oldtreegunblanks.com/sawcuts.html

Check that page out - describes the different sawing cuts.

You'll need some place stable with low humidity, goal is close to 0% moisture left in the blank as possible...
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "goal is close to 0% moisture left in the blank as possible"..........yes,but.......slowly. you also have to seal the end grain or they will 'ckeck' badly and turn the blank into firewood. blanks for rifle stocks should be about 3" thick.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What you're looking for are Cant specs rather than Blank specs.
    Cut your cants at least 10"x38" and 3" thick. If layout is done correctly you can get two blanks from one cant.

For stacking you need something with solid support such as a bench or heavy shelf and something to use for stickers. Stickers are strips of wood used between the cants to promote air flow and need to be of an even thickness.

First, you need to seal the end grain. Everything from parafin wax to roofing tar has been used. I prefer to use acraglass. So long as it seals and stays put for the long run.

Lay out several stickers crosswise on the bench/shelf whatever. Five or six would suffice for a 38" cant. Next lay your cant lengthwise on the stickers. Again, more stickers crosswise of the cant and another cant lengthwise. On the top cant lay another series of stickers with something heavy like a 4x4 over that.

For dry time you can figure 1 1/2-2 years per inch of thickness.
  • Options
    demo-dandemo-dan Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1