In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 TCM Help Needed

11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
Can someone (or multiple people) tell me as much as you can about the .22 TCM?

We recently received a Rock Island 1911 chambered in 9x19mm/.22 TCM, and we know nothing about the .22 TCM.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really interesting! Just had to look it up on GOOGLE, my self. It's a 22 caliber centerfire bottleneck cartridge that was just made public at the shot show, in Jan. of this year. Surprising that they are already selling them without ammo being available.

The cartridge has a dimensions similar to the 9mm so it can be used in the same 1911 platform with just a barrel change. I would guess it was brought out to be a low cost competitor to the FN 5.7 X 28 cartridge.

EDIT #1, Research on line gives case overall length of cut down .223 brass as 1.020 & neck length of .167.

EDIT #2, Just been doing some research on-line. This .22 TCM appears to be almost identical with the .22 Reed Express, other then the parent cartridge. Reed used the 7.62 X 25 com block cartridge, whereas the .22 TCM uses cut-down .223 brass.

The .22 Reed dates back at least 5 years and was set up specially to be used in custom barreled Czech CZ-52's.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .22 TCM is a bottleneck .22 centerfire on the .223 casehead diameter. It is rated for a 40 grain bullet at 2050 fps. Armscor is the only source of ammunition that I know of.
    http://www.advancedtactical.com/advancedtactical/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=181&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Cataloged but none in stock at
    http://centerfiresystems.com/AM22-TCM-JHP.aspx

I have read of the guns coming through with two recoil springs, light for .22 TCM, heavy (relatively) for 9mm P.
    There may also be two extractors, the .22 TCM is on the .223 casehead diameter, which is smaller than 9mm.
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 40gr bullet at 2050fps out of a HiCap RIA 1911, very nice I like it and it should accept the drop in Tokarev 7.62x25mm conversion barrel as well so 3 calibers potentially. I personally would change it over to GI 1911 specs, but that's just me and it would look really great imo and is how I have mine...
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut
    A 40gr bullet at 2050fps out of a HiCap RIA 1911, very nice I like it and it should accept the drop in Tokarev 7.62x25mm conversion barrel as well so 3 calibers potentially. I personally would change it over to GI 1911 specs, but that's just me and it would look really great imo and is how I have mine...

Unless the magazine well of a 1911 is opened up and special over sized magazines are used, normal 7.62 X 25 ammo won't feed more then a 2/3? rounds through convention .38 super length magazine. Back in the 90's a small number of 1911's rebarreled for 7.62 X 25 were imported from China. They used conventional Tokarev magazines and had their magazine wells altered substantially to accept these magazines.
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut

Unless the magazine well of a 1911 is opened up and special over sized magazines are used, normal 7.62 X 25 ammo won't feed more then a 2/3? rounds through convention .38 super length magazine. Back in the 90's a small number of 1911's rebarreled for 7.62 X 25 were imported from China. They used conventional Tokarev magazines and had their magazine wells altered substantially to accept these magazines.

Have heard similar from others that I am in touch with concerning this, once I get setup will see what can be done to possibly alleviate the problem if possible, but definitely would be cool to have a 3 caliber HiCap 1911 in those calibers though.

From what I found the 7.62x25mm cartridge is 1.350" in length and the .38 Super cartridge is 1.280" in length a difference of 0.07".
    Some magazines seem to allow for a slight space forward of the cartridge when seated in the magazine and should hopefully be enough clearance for the 7.62x25mm cartridges not to bind in the .38 Super magazine.
    Any idea what the overall length of the .22 TCM cartridge is, have looked all over however their isn't alot of specific info due to it being fairly new and obscure apparently?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was one guy deep seating 7.62x25 bullets to fit a .38 Super magazine. He said it did not crater the primers TOO much from pressure peaks caused by reduced working volume. Right.

Reloads with flatnosed or hollowpoint bullets would be no problem but that would kind of knock out the idea of blasting with cheap Sov-bloc surplus ammo.