In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of old S&W

PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
A Korean conflict vet. I chat w/on occassion at one of our laundromats asked me about a handguns value that he knows of.

It's a 5 shot S&W in .38 cal.. Based on his description of the condition it's at least 90%.

I asked for him to get a pic or bring it next week w/him.

He believes it's hardly ever been fired.

So, how much might this go for?
I ball parked about $1200.oo.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how you "ballparked" that kind of money? It's way optimistic, to say the least. You got this old geezer so hot and bothered he might have a heart attack.

All kidding aside, sight unseen, it's impossible to identify and value the Smith. In all likelihood it would be worth substantially less then $1200.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    FIRST, make sure the pistol is a S&W brand, notjust a 38S&W caliber off brand.
    Next the only J frame pistols worth around that price are engraved and new in the box. A NIB plain J frame is NOT worth over $350-400.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PTHEIM
    A Korean conflict vet. I chat w/on occassion at one of our laundromats asked me about a handguns value that he knows of.

It's a 5 shot S&W in .38 cal.. Based on his description of the condition it's at least 90%.

I asked for him to get a pic or bring it next week w/him.

He believes it's hardly ever been fired.

So, how much might this go for?
    I ball parked about $1200.oo.

Based solely on what amounts to a second hand description its impossible to know for sure what this guy has, exactly, but statistically, you're probably off by over $600.

Assuming your description is accurate, the most common 5 shot Smith .38s would be the model 36 blued steel or model 60 stainless steel 5 shot J-frame revolvers. Most of these have 2" bbls; some have longer ones. Most have round butts; some have square butts.

If so, an ordinary Smith 5 shot .38 special J-frame in 99% condition without original box and papers might be worth $400, give or take a small amount.

Stainless will be worth a little more.

Nickel plated, would be worth more yet.

If its a rarer or desirable variant (eg adjustable sights, longer bbl, flat latch, early production, etc), it might be worth even more.

If it lacks the original grips or shows any appreciable wear. . .its going to be worth less.

But as mentioned, for this gun to be worth over $700 its got to be both an unusual variant AND in near mint shape with original box and papers.
  • Options
    PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Thank you gents for the honest answers.

He's adamant that it is a S&W.

I admit that revolvers aren't in my radar field and should've waited to get him a better answer and for more details.

This gent is not the excitable sort.
    He's been 'round the block more than once and seen things most won't or don't want to see.
    I told him about the piece the best I could without seeing it in person or by photo from all angles the most likely top price might be $1200 or less. Depends on the buyer.

Thanx again, gents. and I shall update IF he brings the piece or photos.