In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BATFE 4473 Question

JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
I read somewhere that a licensee does not have to include their Complete FFL # on the 4473, but only the first three (3) and last five (5)... Can someone provide guidance / info on this subject?????
Thanks,JIM................

Comments

• Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    That may be true, I know when I use the ATF FFL EZcheck website, you only enter the first three and the last five numbers of the FFL you are trying to search.

I put my complete number on the 4473. I would not want an audit to go south just because I didn't put my complete FFL number on the 4473![:)]

I plan on getting some stamps made, so I can have the 4473 pre-stampted with my business name and FFL number to save time.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    thats what i did had stamps made perfectly acceptable
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanksguys,but that was why I asked the question...Somewhere, someone, commented only the first 3 and last 5 needed tobe used so they did't have to have a new stamp made every three years when the # changed.... I just renewed and need to have a new stamp made...I just thought maybe I could make it the last time I had to pay for another stamp....
    Thanks,
    JIM...........
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those of you that plan on having rubber stamps made with your FFL number on them, get yourself a programmable stamp as your FFL number changes slightly when they are renewed. Then when ever your FFL number changes you just change the stamp instead of buying a new one.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    4473 actually states on the form what is aceptable
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    The FFL E-Z check requires the first, second, and last group of the number for establishing bonafides, and for checking the address.

Now, as an FFL sending a firearm interstate, you very well may need to submit a complete number for the receiving FFL's A/D book.

Find out what the large firearms distributors require. That should tell you something. Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you fordsix....The #1 rule..If all else fails...READ THE DIRECTIONS.... The instructions in the box where the FFL # goes clearly states what is required....
    Thanks,
    JIM........
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have written it all out on the form for 23+ years. That way I have nothing to be concerned over.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First 3 and last 5 are good enough for the log books too.