In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trigger Pull Weight

redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have Timney triggers in my Weatherby Vanguards.

What is a good weight for the trigger pull in a hunting rifle?

Comments

• Options
    rwfixemrwfixem Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4 pounds MINIMUM!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would they be regular, single or double set and which type of double set? How much shooting have you done and what are you hunting from what position?
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redpete
    I have Timney triggers in my Weatherby Vanguards.

What is a good weight for the trigger pull in a hunting rifle?

Depends on:

-What you're accustomed to (and this is probably more important than ANYTHING else). Obviously, too light or too heavy aren't optimal, but its possible to do good work with any weight between 2 and 7 pounds.

-The weight of the gun in question. Heavier guns can have heavier triggers. Heavy trigger on a light gun isn't good because when you pull the trigger, you'll be moving the gun too!

-The type of trigger (eg single stage, double stage, etc).

-Whether or not you'll be pulling the trigger with gloves on. (IF so, you'll want a heavier trigger). Edit: Also, if the weather is really cold, even without gloves your fingers might get somewhat numb, and in that situation light trigger isn't good.

For purposes of this post, I'll say the discussion starts at 3 to 3.5 lbs for a typical medium/large game rifle. For a long range varmint gun, maybe 2.5 lbs, and some experienced shooters like lesser weight pulls on that kind of gun.

But again, if you're accustomed to heavier triggers or much lighter ones, you can still do good work.

Super-light "match" type triggers under one lb are probably acceptable for long range varmint shooting, which itself is somewhat like benchrest target shooting. But light triggers are really a liability in any other hunting situation where you might have to pull the trigger after exertion, and having too light a squeeze is a setup for a bad shot or even accidental discharge.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as the pull weight is reasonable(between 3 and 5 pounds), it is really not the weight that count's. The amount the trigger travels before and after the sear breaks(sear engagement, and over travel), is what count's. The less a trigger moves, the less chance you have of pulling the sights, and subsequentially, the shot, off target.

I prefer my trigger's on my precision rifles under 3 pounds, but not for rifles that may be used by someone other than myself. It is down right hard to beat the older Remington 700 style trigger's, for adjustability.

Best
  • Options
    redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your responses...here is some additional information...

I have three Vanguards with Timney triggers...7mm-08, .270 Winchester and .30-06.

They are regular Timney triggers that come from the factory set at 3 pounds.

We hunt from elevated stands in central Minnesota.

I shoot quite a bit (too much says my wife...), but I shoot more shotgun and handgun than I do rifle...
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see how you're going to go wrong with a 3lb Timney trigger.

The main issue is your comfort/experience with the trigger. Light triggers can be problematic if you're accustomed to working with much heavier ones (and vice versa).

But if you have plenty of trigger time with that trigger, you'll be fine.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you have the same TYPE of triggers on all your rifles, you should have fewer problems. I was recently at my range shooting a Savage model 11 with the "accu-trigger", a 1903-A3 with the two-stage military trigger, along with a 721 and an old model 70. I had to remind myself, when changing rifles, not to "take up the slack" on the 721 and 70!
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Ambrose. I think you should be just fine as they are, however they are adjustable for a reason. If you want more pull go for it.