In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading for semi-auto

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have been reloading for many years, but never for a semi-auto. Question is---When you are given 3 grain weights for the same bullet/powder combination (high---med.---low). Any thoughts on where to start with the powder charge??? Gun is a Win. 100, I will be loading 125 gr. Nos BT. Certainley the gun must cycle, but at the same time I don't want to damage the gun. THX

Comments

• Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    check 3 sources and start 10% under the midpoint.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gas operated guns have to be reloaded with the correct burning rate powder. This is to prevent stress and breakage to the internal mechanism. Given that the Winchester Model 100, is a high value collectors item nowadays. I would be very cautious in your reloading. Only reload using specific powders and data that are tailored for the Model 100. I would research this point thoroughly, prior to actually shooting it with reloads.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indeed, repairing even minor damage to the gun will not be easy or cheap if the load is not one compatible with your gun. Check with the reloading forum to see if anyone there has a load specific to the Win 100 you're loading for.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have loaded for M100s in 308 Win; but I haven't loaded 125 grs- the people that I know use them for deer and elk and use 150 - 180 grs. The action works best when "mid-rate" powders such as 4064 & 4320 are used, however with the 125 it is likely a slightly faster powder may work better; no faster than 3031 and likely 4895 would be the best choice.