In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

short action 375

telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have this fascination with building/buying a short or medium action bolt action rifle in .375 caliber. I have toyed with the thought of a .376 steyr but brass/ammo really hard to find. I also looked into a .375/284 but once again..hard to come by. I don't want a .375 H&H its just too long. Any ideas on cartridge ideas? The .375 Ruger is a bit much but might fit the bill if ammo can be found. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I haven't kept up with all of the factory offerings in the last several years. The cartridge would depend on how short you want to go. If you mean standard length, the most common solution is neck out a 338 Win to 375. If you want a straight sided case get one of the "short" or Ultra modified 404 cases, get it the length you want and neck to 375. It depends on how much trouble you want to go to to get the short 375 and what sort of ballistics are desired.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would say a standard length cartridge would work. Not looking for long range shooting...a short to medium range thumper.. Velocity around 2600-2700 if possible without knocking my shoulder off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The easiest option is to neck out the 338 Win Mag to 375. It has a couple names, which I forget, but it's very simple to make cases. Take 338 cases and run a tapered expander in the neck and you get a 375/338. No firing or other forming is generally needed as long as the shoulder isn't changed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DSC_0111_zps993bf4f9.jpg

DSC_0110_zpsf6d3dc4d.jpg

This is from PO Ackley's book.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Ray. I will look into this cartridge.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try looking at the Ruger 375 Compact Magnum. They make rifles for it and Hornady makes ammunition for it.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    375 Winchester also.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=378257340

here is the Winchester 375. Just right for a short or medium action bolt rifle.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Wildcat: .375 Whelen. .30/06 necked up. Uses standard length action; standard, non- Magnum bolt-face, inexpensive brass.

2. Old School: 9.5x57 Mannlicher (".375 Express"). Uses 8x57 brass necked up. Same comments as above, not as powerful, less recoil w/full power loads.

Look both up in "Cartridges of the World".