In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

W & C Scott & Son Trap / Skeet Shotgun

Fox-FirearmsFox-Firearms Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
Hi all. I have a W & C Scott & Son single barrel shotgun, serial 101036 (on the receiver, barrel and forend), but I can't seem to find it anywhere. There is no model name or number. It has a 20" ribbed barrel with a very large, odd-looking, Lyman Cutts choke on the end, which is 7", making the overall length of the barrel 27". I'm guessing this shotgun had another barrel at one time, and this is a field barrel, or some goof cut the barrel and added the choke. It has a straight stock with an outline to make it appear as though it has an adjustable cheek rest (I can't tell if that's original or someone did it for appearance). It only has a single firing pin, so there's no over/under barrel for it. One side of the barrel has the W&C Scott information and the other side says The H&D Folsom Arms Co New York.

First and foremost, any information about this shotgun would be GREATLY appreciated. Second, I would like to get an appropriate trap barrel for it. Does anyone know where I could get either a W&C Scott barrel or after-market barrel for this shotgun.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Comments

• Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will get you started: W&C Scott was the prior company that became Webley & Scott. They date to 1832. p-2061 BlueBook of Guns 34ed.

Nothing in the book about old single barrel shotguns.

But here is a google:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=281064

and
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2453952

The highest value for a Crescent 12ga in the current bluebook is $140, but your has a Cutts, and that knocks down the value.

They did make a .410 which is collectible.

I have a hardcover history book on Webley. There is nothing in it about shotguns.
    How about you posting some photos b4 this thread is locked?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help with any specific info on the shotgun. Seems from your description that it might originally have been a trap gun, until bubba got his hands on it.

H & D Folsom Arms Co., dated to the 19th Century. They were probably the largest manufacturer/importer/distributor of shotguns in the U.S. From the 1890's to the 1930's. Webley & Scott were famous English firearms manufacturers. Most of their shotguns were doubles, wasn't aware of them making a single? It might predate the First World War?

You no doubt could have a custom barrel made for your shotgun. Cost wise it would likely be prohibitively expensive. To have one made and custom fitted though.
  • Options
    Fox-FirearmsFox-Firearms Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you both for the info. MBK, are you saying this is a Crescent shotgun? If so, why doesn't it say Crescent anywhere on the gun (barrel, receiver, or forend)?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fox-Firearms
    Thank you both for the info. MBK, are you saying this is a Crescent shotgun? If so, why doesn't it say Crescent anywhere on the gun (barrel, receiver, or forend)?

Back during the late 19th early 20th Centuries, prior to 1914. Many Belgian shotguns were imported/distributed by Folsom with spurious English markings. The best way to tell the difference would be the proof marks. Belgian and British proofs are quite different, and easy to differentiate. If there are no proofs at all on the receiver, it's probably US made.