In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Revolver lug question

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
How does the lug affect a revolver other than weight? Does it stiffen the barrel with stouter loads and help accuracy, as a heavy barrel varmint rifle does? Or is it mostly cosmetic? Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Might stiffen a pencil barrel but not a heavy one. Also would depend on length.
    basically where put on for protection for ejection rod.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the most interesting ultra high speed films I ever saw was revolver being fired. With the grid pattern you could the frame warp and the bulge traveling in the barrel ahead of the bullet.

Weight helps dampen out your oscillations. It also provides a place for some front lockup on a S&W
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm kinda looking for a 41 magnum S&W model 657. They come with 1/2 and full lug versions, with barrel lengths from 3"-8.375". Not sure which one I am more interested in, thus the recent multiple revolver questions on the ATE board. Thanks for all the answers so far.

Todd
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've been a model 57 41 magnum shooter for a lot of years. I have an older no dash model, 6" barrel with the half barrel lug. I use it mostly for bowling pin shooting. I have a couple of no dash 29s and a Colt Anaconda in 44 mag. I find the 41mag does as good on the bowling pins as the 44s, but I'm able to get back on target quicker.
    I'm a big 41 mag fan.
    W.D.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    How does the lug affect a revolver other than weight? Does it stiffen the barrel with stouter loads and help accuracy, as a heavy barrel varmint rifle does? Or is it mostly cosmetic? Thanks.

Todd

Full lug is partly cosmetic, but mostly about adding a little more weight up front. The effect isn't tremendous (you're only talking maybe 1-2 ounces here in a 40+ ounce gun), but the idea is to both reduce muzzle flip during recoil, and also also "plant" the muzzle a bit with extra inertia.

This sort of thing is why bullseye shooters sometimes add extra weight to their guns barrel.

I wouldn't say there is no theoretical benefit to intrinsic accuracy from increased barrel stiffness, but realistically, its probably negligible and I doubt you're going to actually notice any.

As to which to get, I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. Again, its more of a subtle thing than a major one, and mostly a question of personal preference.

All else being equal, for myself, if this were a carry gun, I'd go with the half lug, but for a range/competition gun, I'd go with the full lug. But I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over getting the other one, if the gun were otherwise OK and fairly priced.