In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garand Gas Cylinder and Gas Cylinder Nut

KaydeeKaydee Member Posts: 6
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have been told that the M1 Garand Gas Cylinder and the Gas Cylinder Lock are made of Stainless Steel. That all of the Gas Cylinder and the Gas Cylinder Locks on all of the M1 Garand's were Stainless Steel.The reason for this is the pressure generated by firing a round was to high for regular steel so the Gas Cylinder and the Gas Cylinder Lock had to be made out of Stainless Steel.
I was also told that the coating on the Gas Cylinder and the Gas Cylinder Lock was a Black Oxide and they were not parkerize or blued.
I talked to a Metal Coating Chemist and he informed me that Blueing and parkerizing will not stay on Stainless Steel.
Is this true.
Kaydee

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The gas cylinder and its related parts were made of stainless steel in order to combat the effects of corrosive primers used in US military ammunition during the bulk of period the M1 was in service. SS cannot be conventionally parkerized or blued so yes, the cylinders were chemically darkend using different coatings, none of which ever proved to be really long lasting.

Now you know who MTC29 is over in the other forum where you posted this same quesiton.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black Nickel might hold up, and those new bake on paints might be the DIY choice.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The issue relating to pressure is pure BS ! ( "stainless" steel is regular steel with a little more chrome)