In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

one piece grips

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can't figure out how one piece grips fit tight on a revolver. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    All the one piece grips I have are on military Colt SAA and other First generation civilian models. The grip frame and trigger guard are two pieces of Steel that mount to the Pistol FRAME "the part that has all the lock works and barrel screws into. All three pieces will be stamped with The same serial number .you take the screws out remove the grip frame and trigger guard and back strap separate the back strap from grips as well as trigger guard now the one piece grips will be loose. the same pistol that has 2 piece grips will have a screw from one grip panel to the other side and a pin cross ways through the trigger guard to LOCATE the toe of the grip panels
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The grip frame, trigger guard and back strap (Perry Shooter) mentioned will push and hold the grip tight. So tight infact might bugger the screw and/or the frame screw holes. Basically reads might use a gunsmith for fitting.

I've been wanting two piece grips for my Uberti SAA that are little bigger than typical. This I know I'll have to have custom made and not off the rack. Also I want the bottom of the wood to be flush with the grip frame and not beveled like stock grips.

*Thanks Perry I'll start shopping.

*Maybe shim it like Trapp mentioned or explain the situation further. Wood putty then shape it?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Yoshmyster get a grip frame off of a 1860 army. and grips They will fit your frame and are longer and feel great if you have Big hands
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think what peddler wants to know, is how to tighten up loose fitting one piece grips?
    You can use glass bedding compound, or simply lay strips of tape on the grip where it contacts the frame.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Question is unclear to me. Which revolvers? SAA, modern double, single action? Hogue uses a strap/screw in the bottom of the grip to tighten one peice grips without pass though screws through the sides of the grip.
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun is Colt SAA.