In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-250 Rem

boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a new 700ADL camo syn stock 26 inch heavy bbl Rem.22.250 with a 4x12 scope on it at Dicks Sporting Goods 449.00.It has a new Xplus trigger set at the factory 3 lbs.I friend of mine said the new Rem are not as good as the old 700s anyone have any thing to say about the newer guns from rem have not had the chance to sight it in yet thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 22-250 cartridge. A 3# trigger sounds good. Rifles are such individuals its hard to say if it will shoot good or really good.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    I have a really old Rem 700 Varmit Special in .22-250 and it has taken hundreds of chucks over these many years. Has an old Weaver 4x12V on top which has also done the job. Just love the gun and the round....and I think you will too. As to the new gun, can't say but the old gun was a winner! Good choice[:D]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I haven't looked closely at a newer 700, but nothing new is ever considered as good as what used to be made, even if the new and old were made to the same specs. Ten years from now it will be considered old and the new ones won't be as good. Sounds like you have a nice rifle.[:)]
  • Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did the same thing a couple of years ago from Dicks on sale with rebate and have to say that it is a fine piece of artillery for chucks and coyotes. Barrel is very front heavy and takes a little getting used to on the swing at a moving coyote but not really bad at all when you do. Mine likes 46-50-52-53-and 55 grain bullets with about equal accuracy with any of them. I haven't finished up on all the accuracy testing yet, but I can hold any of the afore mentioned to under an inch and some to much less. I think you will like your new rifle.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    boltaction,

quote:I friend of mine said the new Rem are not as good as the old 700s...

That's sort of a broad brush to paint this subject with although to a certain extent it can be stated with fair accuracy.

Cerberus, the current owners of Remington Arms, is a private investment group and as such, expects profits. Remington was indeed profitable prior to the purchase but not as significantly as desired by the group. So measures were adopted to insure greater profits through lesser materials and more emphasis on military and LE contracts through design.

The prices of all models of Remington firearms zoomed up while cheaper plastic stocks were substituted for the real wood stocks. The barrels have actually gotten better over the last few years and the trigger on the M700 is better in some ways and lesser in others. The overall finish of the barreled actions is rough by comparison to the previous years but this was degraded over the long run and not overnight.

Buy the barreled action cheap in the plastic stock then upgrade to a good aftermarket stock. Have the trigger tuned by a 'smith that knows how to do it properly and then buy a great scope and rings.

If you want the most you can get from the action, have a great custom builder tear the factory rifle apart (or just buy an action) and have it blueprinted. Then add a custom barrel by a top barrel maker, use a Jewell trigger, all held in a McMillan or Manners stock. Many, many top records have been set with this formula.

Best.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the other hand ,there's the poor mans solution, mine. Take it out ,get a selection of good quality ammo in different bullet weights and shoot the daylights out of it til you are good with it. The caliber is terrific and they are accurate weapons. Get to know it and I bet you will be very pleased.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rifle will probably serve you very well as it is.
    When you wear out the barrel you can get a new one put on and the action "blueprinted" and put it in a deluxe stock.