In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mauser receiver threads

old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me if the threads on a commercial fn receiver would be the same as a military receiver.Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Frank de Haas's book, "Bolt Action Rifles". There is a reference section in the back, entitled "Barrel Shank Drawings". It gives the dimensions for a number of different Mauser rifles. Most are 12 "V" threads per inch. But the OD's of the shanks vary between .875 and 1.141. Also the tenon length varies. You also understand that these were originally Metric dimensions. That de Haas converted to our English measurements. Because of this potential variance. I wouldn't bet money that the basic I.D.'s of a commercial and military Mauser would be the same.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to forget, Mauser spec'ed a 55^ "V" thread, VS the "standard" US 60 "V".
    Not saying that your FN is the same or different than a military (most likely the same), but that mant of the US made "ready fit" barrels have the wrong V angle on them.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, commercial and mil. threads will be the same.
    1.1"x12 for large ring and .980"x12 for small ring.
    I'm not aware of FN manufacturing the Brevex size magnum actions with 1.41"x12.8? thread.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm trying to remember if FN made a small ring.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I'm trying to remember if FN made a small ring.".........yes they did, also long and short actions.
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys.I am looking to build a rifle on a commercial FN receiver that I picked up.Just need to change the barrel out from 270 to 280.Everything else is already there.Wasn't sure if receiver threads would be a problem.