In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hunting with 223

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
Is killing a deer with an ar 15 realistic? What ammo woukd you use. I know not to use the fmj.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ammo manufacturers make bullets now, out of a solid brass/copper alloy. They won't "blow-up" like the older .223 bullets primarily made for varmint hunting. These solid alloy bullets are manufactured to expand and penetrate in larger game animals like deer.

171151.jpg
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the 1960's I hunted deer with a 223 Sako rifle using the heaviest bullet then readily available the Sierra 63 grain semi-spritzer (%#@ spell checker) with good results but you had to be 100% certain to make a good shot placement. Lately, I've used a Ruger 77 II stainless 223 on hogs placing the shot between the ear and eye and also turkeys with lower neck shots using Nosler 50 grain BTs. I have read about the Barnes bullets in 22 caliber being effective on wilder beast and zebras, that would be the bullet I'd use now if I still hunted deer with a 223.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've hunted with .223/5.56 for years. Usually a 55-62 grain soft point bullet was enough. Like everything else shot placement is key. Since the 6.8 SPC has come out I've used it exclusively my brother continues to hunt with an AR-180 in .223 and I can say say that over the years every deer that we have shot ended up in the freezer.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The few times I took my mini-14 hunting (it was the only centerfire I had) I was using 55gr JSP loads and planned on taking a head shot. Antlers aren't edible...

Didn't see any deer so I didn't have a chance to test my theory.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Not legal in some states .Va. is one of them .Check your game laws
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rex Mahan
    Is killing a deer with an ar 15 realistic? What ammo woukd you use. I know not to use the fmj.
    Thanks

This again?

First of all, as you probably know, AR-15s have detachable uppers that make it relatively easy to take off the standard .223, and replace with a wide variety of other calibers that are probably more suitable for deer hunting.

So if you like the PLATFORM, but are concerned about the relatively low power of .223, you can swap your .223 for (say) 7.62x39, .450 Bushmaster, or a whole bunch of others in 6-7mms. Hunting type 7.62x39, in particular, is ballistically similar to a 30/30, ammo is relatively cheap and readily available, and I think empirically its pretty hard to argue with that for a deer round.

Personally, while I don't think 223 Remington is "optimal" for deer, its certainly "realistic". Where legal, people use this for deer all the time, and some people swear by this.

I think the key is just to understand the limitations of the round and work with them. You do need to use proper bullets of course. . .FMJ or varmint rounds won't cut it. You also need to keep distances relatively short, because more so than heavier bullets, the lighter weight of .223s needs high velocities to ensure good penetration.

Which bullets? Nosler Partition, Barnes Triple Shock, and Federal Fusion are three types that are designed for deer sized game, and can work well. The "Vor-Tx" ammo Rufe depicted above is one of the commercial loads that uses the Triple Shock bullet.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rex Mahan
    Is killing a deer with an ar 15 realistic?I see from your profile that you're located in the central part of my state.

Sadly, as long as you're not using some sort of varmint bullet and you do your part our little whitetails are no problem for a .223.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The 223 will kill a deer although any measure that you want to use will show it to be a very minimum cartridge and require limited shot selection and precise bullet placement. Given those limitations I would use a Swift bonded bullet that is designed for spending its energy in the most effective way on big game.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The key is the placement of the bullet. Years ago I was a SWAT team leader and got a call to assist a patrol unit. A resident had decided to butcher an 800 lb+/- Angus steer. He shot it in the forehead from about 10 feet with a .22 lr pistol - didn't work well. The only rifle I had available and sighted in was a Remington 700V in .223. I was able to put the bullet in at the base of his skull from about 125 yards. The bullet was a 55 grain hp, Federal I think. Steer dropped on the spot.
    He was standing still and I had a good rest for the rifle, so all conditions were ideal. Bottom line, it can be done, but I would rather have a little more slug mass on my side. As mentioned, a swap out of the upper could do this for you. I like my 6.8 SPC and there are others.