In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 617 question

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2013 in Ask the Experts
Does the alloy cylinder add or subtract value from the 617-2 value?

Todd

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not possible to prove, but I think the SS cylinder will add value, due to scarcity & better durability of the locking notches.

There are enough variations in this model that folks can get what they want: SS cylinder or alloy, full lug or partial, lock or none, etc. My observation is that "no lock" will add substantial value, the other variations are not as important.

Neal
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with you Neal, however if my homework is correct all of the cylinders are SS with the exception of the -2 version. It was the first 10 shot then S&W went back to 6 shot SS on the -3 and then 10 shot on the -4 model. Looking at an alloy -2, which I don't have and...... Thanks for the info.

Todd
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your buying it as a collectors item. Rather than a shooter, it will add value IMHO. My understanding is that the 10 shot aluminum cylinders weren't successful. And S & W exchanged them for S S.

Any time this happens, specially to a Smith model. This limited availability causes the demand/values to eventually increase.

Number made and still available. Condition of the revolver along with original box, accessories and paperwork. Would have be a substantial factor, in it's current and future value.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the alloy cylinder 10 shot 617's and an all SS 6 shot 617. I have shot the alloy gun a lot and it is still super tight and super accurate.

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg