In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FN 49 Scope mount

A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
Whats the best way to mount a scope on a FN 49?

Not interested in removing the rear sight and using a long eye relief or pistol scope.

It is 7 X 57 Valenzuelian with the dove tail rail on the left side.

Rifle is 100% original and will not drill any holes in it.

Want something solid and rugged.

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A quick google search turned up a couple available earlier in the year. One might still be had.

As another option. What I did when I bought my first 49 was buy another receiver cover and alter it to accept a flat bottom Weaver gunsmith base to mount a red dot.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think that with the advent of modern CNC milling and places that will make your part you could make something to fit the existing dovetail.

Or perhaps the S&K http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?instaprice.html
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    A quick google search turned up a couple available earlier in the year. One might still be had.

As another option. What I did when I bought my first 49 was buy another receiver cover and alter it to accept a flat bottom Weaver gunsmith base to mount a red dot.

When I bought my 1st FN 49 a few years back it came with a base and rings that used the existing rear sight - not the usual BSquare "see saw" set up, but real turn in front and windage adjustable rear rings with separate bases. I never should have gotten rid of them when I sold the gun, I now have a nice FN and haven't figured out how to mount a scope, although I have an extra cover and have thought about taking the same route as you - how did it work out for you?
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy

When I bought my 1st FN 49 a few years back it came with a base and rings that used the existing rear sight - not the usual BSquare "see saw" set up, but real turn in front and windage adjustable rear rings with separate bases. I never should have gotten rid of them when I sold the gun, I now have a nice FN and haven't figured out how to mount a scope, although I have an extra cover and have thought about taking the same route as you - how did it work out for you?

It worked out better than I had thought it would.
    I was initially concerned with movement of the cover causing accuracy problems. I solved that by peening the sides and bottom where it engages the receiver and then fitting it back to the receiver. Much the same idea as fitting a slide to a 1911.

Since I have a Jet bench top mill and a good friend who is quite good with a TIG welder my cost was minimal.
    I first removed the rear sight and milled off the guard wings and then had Claire fill weld any low spots so I could mill a solid full length surface to mount the Weaver base to. This also helped prevent the Bhubba's tractor shed and gunsmitting appearance. From there it was a simple D&T to mount the base.

By no means did the rifle shoot MOA, but I did take several deer and numerous coyotes with it.

edit:
    I forgot to mention. Use copious amounts of heat stop paste and just the minimum of heat when welding.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^^
    Thanks for the information. I have a machinest friend who can help, seems pretty straightforward.