In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pre 64 model 70

deerhunter42deerhunter42 Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a pre 64 model 70 in 25 ackley mag.The gun is in very good cond. Any help on value would be great.

Comments

• deerhunter42deerhunter42 Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much would the value suffer on a pre 64 model 70 Winchester chambered for 375 H&H if it had been re-barreled? It has a Lyman All American scope, but I don't know the power. I don't know what the wood looks like, either. So, I guess what I should ask is a pre-64 Model 70 magnum action worth $1000?
    edited November -1
    I have a model 70 sn#134215 in a 270.I believe it is a 1950.This gun has a slide safety like on a 700, haven't been able to find a picture of one with this safety.Gun is in very good shape.Do you know about how much it's worth and how I can find a buyer?
    edited November -1
    What is the visible difference between a pre 64 model 70? Besides black walnut, I am talking about the metal work of the gun itself. Is there any dead give aways?[?]
    edited November -1
    what is the difference in a 300 or 264 std and a westerner...Thanks
    edited November -1
    Looking for any info. on a pre 64 model 70 in 30.06 sprgfld. serial # 5436**. The gun has a jeweled bolt and extensive engraving with a gold inlay elk on the bottom plate and a gold inlay bear on the bottom of the trigger guard. Underneath the bottom plate there is a FP stamped into it. On the barrel there is a oblong circle with the letter P and a W on its side within the circle. I know the gun was made in 1960, but no idea of value or rarity. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    edited November -1
    I own pre 64 model 70 I purchased it as a 300h&h. A couple of weeks ago I got around to shooting it, only to discover it has been rechambered to 300 weatherby. The gun is easily 96% otherwise.
    How much does this decrease the value?
    edited November -1
    take a look at the finish on this rifle..Auction # 58562206 ...what yall think?
    edited November -1
    was the pre 64 ever made in 6mm rem
    edited November -1
    Where can I find a model 70 pre 64 buttplate. Gun is a 264 mag made in 1961. Found several but all are too small.Should be curved without the top spur. HELP!!! Hunter Burden
    edited November -1
    I know this was posted at one time, I did a search and couldn't find it. Can someone post how many pre 64 model 70s where manufactured in each caliber. I meant to print it off, but didn't, now I can't find it. I'm interested in how many 264 Win mag rifles where built, not featherweights.
    Thanks for your induldgence.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    Is $500 dollars for a winchester pre 64 model 70 feather weight in .243 a good deal ?? perfect condition!!
    edited November -1
    i asked the first question because a friend of a friend wants to sell me a pre 64 in ex. shape except it has a douglas 6mm rem barrel on it not original barrel also has a redfield scope on it for 600.00
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not aware of any M70 that was chambered for a 6mm Rem, or as it was known at that time, 244 Rem. That said, $600 for such a rifle sounds like a very good buy to me.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    A bare rifle, in excellent shape is probably worth $500-$600.
    There is no collector value, it's just a good rifle, and should be a tack driver.
    I had a 722 Remington in 6mm with a bull barrel, it was very accurate.
    W.D.
  • rrmickyrrmicky Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Negative. Big red W went with the 243 rather than the marginally faster 6mm which was Remington's attempt to market a fast 6mm in response to Winchester's 243 which came on the market first.
    edited November -1
    Technically not a pre 64 with another barrel in my opinion.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sage1
    Technically not a pre 64 with another barrel in my opinion.

What would you call it--technically?
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is all original except for the barrel and in excellent condition it would be worth the money in parts or to filnd a original barrel and put it on.
    edited November -1
    Well lets change the stock so nothing is original. What do we have following the same logic as changing the barre?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sage1
    Well lets change the stock so nothing is original. What do we have following the same logic as changing the barre?

The action is what differentiates one model from another. If the action is a Winchester Model 70 that was made in 1952, then the gun is a pre'64. If the barrel has been changed and the stock has been changed, leaving only the action, the gun is still a Win M70 pre'64. It's not an "all original", but nonetheless it is still a gun based on a pre'64 action. When Al Biesen made rifles there was very little that remained "original", but they are still considered pre'64 M 70s.