In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6mm wildcat

bverboybverboy Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
edited December 2013 in Ask the Experts
came across 19 rounds of what looks like wildcat rounds. says match lc 63 on the casing. got any info on these rounds?? not sure what to do with them as I don't own a rifle that handles them. thanks

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bverboy,

Unless one of the other members is prescient, you'll have to provide us with more information like dimensions and photographs. Otherwise you're out of luck.

LC 63 simply stands for Lake City 1963 and they made many cartridges used for our fighting forces.

Best.
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That case probably started out as a 30 carbine, 30-06, 7.62x51 (308), or 5.56 can you narrow down to one of these?
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think we can rule out .30 carb. I don't think any match cartridges were made for it.
  • Options
    bverboybverboy Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will do some more digging and get some dimensions. thanks
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    19 rounds?
    Wow, some people would use that as an excuse to have a reamer ground to match and a barrel installed.
    Me? I'd save one as a novelty and trash the rest.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Wow, some people would use that as an excuse to have a reamer ground to match and a barrel installed."

A tight neck Match grade reamer, along with a set of dies, and a $400 Kreiger stainless Steel barrel.

Seriously bverboy, one good photo and several of us can probably ID your cartridges before the ink is dry.

Ray
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a bucket full of 243 from LC 7.62x51 match brass I picked out of a barrel in the back of the local gun emporium back in 1983. Sized, trimmed, and neck reamed-it worked perfectly.
    The ammo you have COULD be 6mm06. I've even seen some very primitive 240 WBY brass concocted from 30/06.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Using my mind-reading abilities, I'll have determine that the cases are not a wildcat, but are military 7.62Nato necked down to 243Win.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about the 6mm SAW? Wasn't that about when they started testing them? 1963'ish?
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    What about the 6mm SAW? Wasn't that about when they started testing them? 1963'ish?

More 1970'ish.

It looks like bverboy has left us, never to return, leaving us to discuss a cartridge we know nothing about.[8D]