In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

QUESTION FOR GLOCK FANS

NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
I realize I have a couple of threads running. I like to get as much information as possible before spending my hard earned money on a gun when my wife doesn't understand why I need one more (okay, the "one" is a relative term).

These questions are for fans of Glocks. I'll be frank and confess I have never been interested in Glocks. The idea of a plastic, er, polymer gun, has always left me skeptical. And, they aren't the prettiest guns on the block. Of course, I am wrong on both accounts.

Recently a friend let me try out his brand new $1000 dollar Kimber. Man did that thing shoot accurately. I saw this black gun in a plastic gun box. What is that I said? He told me it was his full size Glock in .45 caliber and would I like to try it. Having never even held a Glock, I had no idea what to expect. Here is what I experienced:

The trigger pull was very very nice...almost as good as the Kimber
The recoil of the .45 Glock felt less sharp than the recoil of the .45 Kimber. In fact, I actually enjoyed shooting the Glock more. I know this might be heresy to 1911 fans, but I'm being honest. Remember, this is coming from a guy who had no interest in Glocks at all.

But what about accuracy? It shot right down the middle! I won't say it was exactly as accurate as the Kimber, but, if not, it was pretty close. I was converted on the spot!

I have been looking for a handgun that would be about the size of my Walther PPK for hiking. I hike year round. In the heat, I wear a smallish fanny pack so as not to garner notice. I don't either. But, well the .380 is not my first choice for what I might meet in the woods. Even though this park is in a very low crime suburbaban area, and is a state park, there has been a murder and two rapes in that park in the past 10 years. Most of my hiking is done in my favorite season...winter...and I have found bobcat tracks and other large ones similar to a dog that I could not identify. Coyotes around Kansas City? No way.

Anyway, I wanted a gun the size of a PPK but with much more punch. I have a Ruger SP-101. But, its not as concealable as I hoped and can get heavy. In addition, I have been told that the potential of the .357 is not realized in a 2 inch barrel.

I thought about a Glock in a small .45 but have no idea:

how much they must cost
how small are they? Are they really concealable in the summer time?

That's it. I thought of the Bersa Firestorm in the new .45, but if I could get a Glock at not too much more and not any larger than a snubby revolver, I'd say we got us a deal.

What do you Glock fans have to say about this?

Comments

• Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure what model of each of the guns that you shot were, but they are two very different guns, with very different trigger pulls. Some people can't get used to a 1911 style single action, and some can't get used to a pull & squeeze stryker fired Glock. Accuracy, well most guns are very accurate, it's our finger & grip that makes a difference.

To answer you question, a new glock will cost about $500 and they come in small, medium, & large; Kimbers do too, but run from $600 to $900 for entry level guns.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=8568780

Buy it. You won't find this gun at that price again.
    My fullsize glock21 has never had a jam. I've put thousands of rounds through it, no problems. Trigger pull is not as nice as a 1911 but they are completely different designs. I find the my fullsize 21 is much more comefortable to carry all day than my Colt Series 70 gvt model. The Glock is much lighter. Since you are looking for compact I'd say jump on the above deal. You can't go wrong. There is an after market trigger available to bring down the pull weight.

PS. how big is this fanny pack you wear? Some of these packs I've seen are huge. Do you wear a backpack when day tripping? I think a wasteband holster may be more comfortable for you over that fanny pack. Just my $.02.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I am not a great fancier of the Glock but I do own a token Glock (G32,butwhat the H... I have a token lot of things) If you want the maximum concealability with the most firepower in a Glock try the G33 in 357 Sig. Smaller frame than the 45/10mm and the 357 Sig is a little powerhouse. Like I said I am not a great fancier of the Glock but they do everything they are supposed to do when they are supposed to do it. Glock has taken a lot of flak for kbs but I have never seen one on a gun that was not altered in some way and shooting jacketed bullets.

If you wanted a small 45, let me reccommend the Colt Defenfer. Small, light (22oz), reliable (after a break in period), accurate and its a COLT.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The double-stack grips are (seemingly) hard to properly conceal. I love my Glock 20 (full-sized 10mm), but I am looking for a single-file style gun like the Colt Delta Elite for carry. Punchie eluded to some of the other fine calibers too. Many people aren't familiar with the 10mm round, it is essentially a .40 S&W on steroids (the 10mm came out first and was adopted by the FBI, but some of their agents and cadets couldn't qualify with the full-power cartridge so essentially they reduced the case length by roughly 1/8" and called it a .40). Ballistically, it is the same as the .357 mag and can be handloaded to .41 mag levels. Also, you can buy aftermarket barrels to be able to shoot .40 S&W and .357 Sig cartridges through the same gun. I like that ability, even though I haven't felt the need to reduce the power of the 10mm.
    I am not hashing on the .45, I personally think it is the second best non-magnum chambering. The Glock 21 with a pre-ban magazine will hold 13 whereas the more powerful 10mm will hold 15 - you do the math.
    Do a comparison at some of the major ammo makers sites and you'll see what I mean. The only time the 10mm takes a back-seat is when you buy the ammo for it. So far, there hasn't been any cheap ammo for it (that I'd trust to shoot).

Now, my cartridge rantings aside [;)], the Glock is a good gun, I've had my model 20 since 94 and haven't had a single misfire, jam, or other inconvience. I have adjustable night sites on tip, and an integrated hi-intensity laser. They aren't the prettiest guns out there, but they'll get the job done. As I said above, I have a hard time finding a way (short of a fanny pack) of truely concealing the full-sized Glock.
    For me, if a gun is too fancy, with all kinds of "pretty stuff" then I likely won't use it for what I wanted it for. The no-nonsense approach of the Glock was one of the attributes that drew me to it. The biggest attribute was the 15 round magazine in a magnum-level gun. I have a Desert Eagle .44 mag with the standard 7 round magazine, a Benelli M3 with extended magazine tube. And still, when something goes "bump in the night" the Glock gets the call everytime over the rest. That should say something.
    This post went WAY longer than I intended - sorry.
    I think my signature says it best:

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The smallest framed Glocks are the 9mm model 26,40cal model 27,357Sig model 33.Are all compact and light weight,as far as 45 compacts go they offer the 10rnd model 30 and the slim 6rnd model 36.

All have my Glocks have performed flawlessly,however I would steer clear of any Glock with a three digit serial # that starts with the letter "E".They have a frame recall on the models with the effected serial range mentioned.

CW

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NOTPARS,

You sound like the ideal candidate for a Glock 36. A Glock 36 will provide you with the versatility you expressed you desired for hiking, etc.

Check the auctions on GunBroker and you should be able to pick up one in the area of $500.00.

Personally I have carried a .45 ACP for years. Started out with a Colt, then went with a Kimber for several years, picked up a Glock 36 a year ago, and it's now my most comfortable concealed carry.

Good hunting and hiking.

BE QUICK - BE DEADLY!!!
  • Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    notpars,

I know you aren't particularly interested in a full-size glock but when you are take a look at the Glock 35 model. It is a 40 S&W with a longer barrel and a reduced trigger pull. I believe they call itthe competition/tactical model. I have one and it is the only gun that can come close to the accuracy of my Colt 10mm Delta Elite (still the most accurate auto I have ever shot. But then I don't have a Kimber....hmmm, I see a Kimber purchase in my future!) I was never a glock fan but I love this one. Once you get used to the way it sets up in your hand and the trigger pull the gun can be far more accurate than most people are capable of shooting. Anyway, don't mean to be off-topic but I am sure that you are going to want to have a small glock for carry and a full-size one for real shooting! [:)][:)][:)]

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I'd opt for the G36, probably going to be the most concealable Glock 45. You take a cut in capacity but it is a tiny gun comparatively. I like the 21 myself, but I carry mine openly here in AZ so I want the thugs to see some big iron. For concealment go small, maybe even the G27 subcompact (9+1 cap, 40S&W cartridge)

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    Flatlander03Flatlander03 Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to debate the subject but, I own a G35 with serial #E**### and it is not part of the frame update as they call it.

Your info is way too broad. Besides if you did buy a Glock that requires a frame update, it's taken care of courtesy of Glock.

Here is a URL to somewhat explain:
    http://www.gssfonline.com/index_page2.htm

Furthermore, I have not ever seen a Glock with anything but a 3X3 serial# of recent manufacture.

The reason of less realized recoil felt is the fact that the frame flexes a bit and by doing so it doesn't hammer your hand as much as a metal framed pistol.

Glock does manufacture a 380 but is not generally imported for civilian use, strickly military and LEO use only.

By the way, that is a dandy deal for the G30 on gunbroker.

Glocks are extremmly easy to field and/or detail strip for cleaning.
    Parts are readily available, though not likely needed unless you may want to modify it.

Flatlander03.jpeg
    [img]http://personal.zcloud.net/dean/Ban Daley not guns.jpeg[/img]
    I think owning a gun doesn't make you a killer, it makes you a smart American.

George Carlin
  • Options
    CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flatlander glad your pistol was not on the recall list,however many "E" serials out of the range usually quoted are still affected and a few have suffered rear rail failers.Yes,all new models have three digit prefixes,from A-F at this point in production however it was only the "E"s affected.

That being the said,if you were about to buy a new Glock,one tomarrow why chance and buy an "E" that might be affected,just buy a A-D or a F model and play it safe.

I have three Glocks and plan to add more in the future,but I would rather steer a person clear of the possable troubled ones so they are not turned off to them if by chance they recieved a troubled one and had to turn around and send it in to have the frame replaced.

Keep Glocken!

1.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!

2.NEVER WASTE MONEY ON SPRINGFIELD ARMORY!!
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dustyhol, any desire to sell your Delta Elite??? Email me if you do. (sorry capt'n Kirk, I can't find one of these).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Bottom line is, if you are comfortable shooting the Glock 30, and you are accurate with it, then by all means carry it.

IMHO it's a very reliable platform and one of the best defensive auto-pistols out there. No button to accidently mash other than a mag and slide release, pretty simple.

That is a great price, but the shipping is steep, ask the guy if he'll come down to $25.00-

Lotsa Luck-Matt

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Options
    dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry Bambihunter, not a chance that I would sell my 10mm.[:D] Since mine is stainless I am actually looking to add a blued one someday. I love the 10mm round, so accurate!

"Practice is the best of all instructors."

Publilius Syrus