In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blue Book of Gun Values & Modern Gun Values

capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
I'm in the process of updating my gun insurance policy. The above books have conflicting gun value prices for the same guns and needless to say, I'll use the highest value listed for insurance purposes.
But, just how realistic and accurate are the prices listed in these books? In many cases, I wish I knew where I could purchase certain guns at the prices listed in the books. I don't think they are fully aware of the market values of many of the guns they list.
When buying or selling a gun, how much confidence do you have in these reference books for accurate price information?
John

Member NRA & GOA

For All The Fallen Heroes And All The Forgotten Victims
(Christopher Hyde)

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NONE. FOR INFO ONLY. TO GET A REAL VALUE CHECK THE AUCTIONS.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    vipereatervipereater Member Posts: 90
    edited November -1
    I agree with DH regarding the auctions. The auctions represent true market value. I find that the blue book is outdated. If you want to know value of a run of the mill gun from 9 months ago then the blue book is a good reference. If you have a gun of unique features then throw the book out the window.

Bottom line.....value them at what they are worth to you and insure them for that amount.

Vipereater
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    For insurance purposes, the Blue Book is as good as it gets. For selling purposes, a gun is worth only what someone is willing to pay you for it. Most of the time the buyer wants to buy it for as little as possible, and the seller wants to sell it for as much as possible. The real value of the gun is usually somewhere in between.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    Speaking of the Blue Book and Insurance.
    I should have had insurance on my Blue Book.
    Saturday morning I bought the new copy of the Blue Book from a friend and gun dealer who had is table beside mine, at a local gun show this last weekend.
    I let a customer look at it and didn't realize until a few minutes later, that he must have liked it well enough to "take" it with him.
    Pi$$es me off when a pistol mag or any item disappears from my table.
    I guess I feel that the crowd is honest, but there's always got to be somebody to think he/she needs to get something for nothing.
    DuckHunter, good to see you at the show on Saturday.
    Now I can buy another Blue Book from Hogie.

JOIN THE NRA
    SUPPORT THE NRA
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
  • Options
    capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for your feedback - I appreciate it..
    John

Member NRA & GOA

For All The Fallen Heroes And All The Forgotten Victims
    (Christopher Hyde)