In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which rifle to use?

rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am planning to go on an elk hunt this fall, and can't decide on my choice of firearm. It is either my Rem 721 in 30-06, or my Rem 700 in 338-06, that I had made in case I ever did go elk hunting again. They are both MOA rifles, but the 338-06 (I like heavy bullets) is about one pound heavier.

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In all honesty, I'd take both. You sure wouldn't want a trip ruined because something happened to your gun.
    That said, they should both be more than efficient at taking even a trophy elk.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Bambihunter. I always take two guns why take the chance of ruining a hunt with some kind of freaky mechanical failure. "Murphy" is always close at hand. Best of luck on the hunt.

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambihunter, I just got a 338-06, what loads do you like in yours.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rordog, I live in elk country, a I always take a back up rifle to camp, just to save a 3 hour trip to town in case of problems. If you are coming half way across the county, it only make sense to take both. Then, on the morning you are hunting, you can post here and we can tell you which to use.[:p] Actually, it is hard to beat the -06 for elk, and at a pound lighter, that would likely be my first choice. The country you will be hunting in is likely to be pretty rugged and mountainous.