In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sako Vixen Vintage?

BarrockyBarrocky Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know the age of a Sako Vixen Deluxe .222 Mag with the detachable magazine? I'm thinking in the 1950's,would like to know the exact year.The serial number is #494XX. Thanks ...Jeff

Comments

• Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1963 Vintage L-461 Sako guns in these .22 calibers have serial numbers in the 35,000 range. I have tried to find some serial numbers in the past to get exact dates on these and L-57, and L-579 guns, but have not found anything reliable. Of course, the L-57 was only produced for three years during 1957 thru 1959, so that one is fairly easy. The L-579 came to pass in very late 1959, but who knows what one would be serial numbered in, say, 1969? Good Luck! Hope this helps a little.

"Life is FRAGILE!" Handle With Care!
  • Options
    BarrockyBarrocky Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks RP. I think it's actually the L46 Rihimaki action,I've heard these called "pre-vixens". It says "Bofers Steel" on the barrel. I'm pretty sure it was made sometime in the 1950's,I remember seeing it in the gun cabinet in the early 60's. I haven't searched hard,but so far can't find a good internet reference for the old Sakos.
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    L-46 "Pre-Vixen" Sakos were made Mid 50's or thereabouts, according to what I've been told. Exactly which date.......well, here we go again! Let me know if you find any serial number tables, etc., anywhere! Haven't found any Internet Sako sites with this info. It is an extremely fun gun, though. I take it was in the family a while and now yours? Definitely "Pre-Garcia!" Enjoy!!!

"Life is FRAGILE!" Handle With Care!