In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shipping handguns

benyjetbenyjet Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
Must handguns always be shiped next day air? Are there any other ways they can be shiped?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just sold a pistol on GB for the first time. I know about getting their FFL. But, what is the best legal way to ship a handgun?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there any way to ship a gun via UPS without costing so much. I don't have a dealer FFL so I have to ship UPS overnight. The last time I shipped a handgun to a C&R from NC to ILL it cost $39.00. Have to drive a good ways to ship because they don't want you to ship them at just any drop off point. Have to take it to the terminal. I am getting the idea it is cheaper to let my dealer ship to a dealer than ship directly to a C&R holder. I have a C&R myself but the cost of shipping UPS overnight is rediculous. I know some who just drop them off and don't mention what they are shipping. Thanks !

H.O.Caudle
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There seems to be some confusion on shipping of handguns. Handguns must be shipped dealer to dealer, when shipping across state lines. A non licensed person cannot transfer a handgun out of state. No different than a dealer cannot sell a handgun to a non licensed person from another state. These transfers must go dealer to dealer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some guns listed and have already read the gb gun shipping guidelines.

I am curious to know which do you guys prefer...UPS or FedEx?

What is the average cost to ship a handgun? (say for example, state to adjoining state vs. across the country?).

Do handguns incur an extra surcharge like ammo?

Any other tips would be appreciated...Thx for your input

vroyce
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As I understand it, the Federal requirements to ship a handgun are as follows:

Via FedX...must be Priority Overnight service
    UPS........must be Next Day Air

Both of which are expensive.

3rd option, which is suspose to be the least expensive is via U.S.Mail using the Post Office form # 1508 and it has to be from a "licensed person" (FFL holder) to another FFL/ dealer.

Do I have my facts correct.....or am I missing something or is there a better/ cheaper way to ship a handgun? Thanks for any and all responses....[?]

Barry.....in Michigan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can a non licensed person ship a handgun to a FFL holder via USPS out of state? California to Idaho.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What's the cheapest way to ship a handgun in the states? I see you guys charge 25.00 or less for shipping but FedEx quoted me 45.00.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can handguns be shipped via Fed Ex? If so, how do their rates compare with UPS?

Thanks
  • Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A nonlicensed individual cannot ship a handgun to anybody using the Postal Service.

Your only options are UPS and FedEx.

FFL Dealer, Class 07/02 Mfg