In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mossburg difference ?

uncle milouncle milo Member Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
besides price. what is the difference between the 500 models and the 590 models ? I know they come in all different configurations in both models. is the 590 built out of better material, better workmanship,[?]

Comments

• Options
    ranger37ranger37 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi and how are you...I hope this info helps..

Pump Action 500r

American made.
    America's favorite.
    The original, unchallenged shotgun shooting system.
    No other shotgun even comes close to the Mossberg 500 pump action's remarkable combination of modern design, custom-type features and affordability. All come in an array of stock, barrel, finish and "combo' options that make it the perfect, versatile choice - from "first-timers" to seasoned veterans alike. After all millions of customers can't be wrong.

More Standard Features, Unlimited Versatility
    Take a reliable "workhorse" shotgun; add the performance features hunters want and offer it at an unbeatable price - enter the Mossbergr 500r pump action shotgun. Sharing many of the same stringent Mil-Spec standards of the renowned 590A1T, the 500r shotgun combines a proven track record and standard features like no other.
    These include 3" chambers, an ambidextrous safety, and Quiet Carryr dual action bars among others. Selected models also include factory-ported barrels, the first fully rifled slug barrel, and our patented Trophy Slugsterr cantilevered scope mount system.
    Exceptional versatility comes from a wide selection of interchangeable barrels and Accu-Choke tubes.
    We even offer a .50 caliber, fully rifled muzzleloading barrel for 6-shot,12 gauge model 500's. With a simple change of a barrel and/or choke tube, you can go from hunting upland birds to waterfowl, and from wild turkeys to deer. All with the same shotgun - the Mossberg 500 pump action.

DO RIGHT GUNSMITH, INC.
  • Options
    ranger37ranger37 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is some 500/590 info.....

500r/590r Special Purpose Shotguns

Proven performance and piece of mind
    Protecting critical security needs for nearly four decades.
    Mossbergr has provided the world with law enforcement and personal defense shotguns for nearly forty years. In 1979, after rigorous Mil-Spec testing, the Mossberg 500 Special Purpose shotgun was selected by the United States Military as their shotgun of choice. This astounding reign of excellence continues today, providing you with the quality and performance you demand from the Mossberg name

Proven Performance and Reliability
    The Mossbergr 500r and 590r Persuaderr shotguns are the pump action shotguns you can count on for any and every security need. They have the credentials and track record to prove it.

In their commercial form, the Persuaders are virtual duplicates of the proven Mossberg military 500 and 590 models....the only pump action shotguns ever to pass all stringent U.S. Military MilSpec-3443 standards. The heart of this spec is a brutal 3,000 round endurance test using buckshot loads. Following the endurance test, randomly selected guns are then frozen, baked, and dropped at various attitudes to ensure the utmost in functionality, safety and endurance. If that isn't enough, parts interchangeability is also mandated, requiring full interchangeability between integral components. No wonder it remains the reliable choice of U.S. Armed Forces and police departments throughout the world.

Mossberg 590DAT Double Action Shotgun
    Originally introduced to meet the needs of the law enforcement community, Mossbergr has established yet another industry milestone with the civilian introduction of the 590DAT Double Action.

The 590DAT fires with a long, deliberate stroke of the trigger for each shot, replicating the traditional double action service pistols and revolvers commonly used in law enforcement.
    Mossberg has established yet another industry milestone with the civilian introduction of the 590DA Double action - the only civilian DA on the market today.

Like our other 500 and 590 Special Purpose models, the 590 DA was designed to meet the very same grueling government Mil-Spec and National Institute of Justice standards. That means they include the same proven performance and reliability features that you've come to know and trust from the Mossberg name. features like dual extractors for positive shotshell extraction and ejection, and twin action bars for smooth operation with all 2 3/4" -3" shotshell lengths.

"Double-Action" style trigger housings are not interchangeable with standard 500/590 housings.

Special Purpose Features & Options
    Mossberg Special Purpose shotguns provide modern, state of the art design for the most serious and potentially prolonged defense situations. A full range of popular models are offered in your choice of 18 1/2" and 20" barrel lengths. Choose from our durable finish options including traditional blued, or rugged non-glare parkerized models.

The touted home security HS410T further compliments the special purpose line-up, featuring the unique "spreader choke" for the ultimate pattern performance in close-range situations.

Each and every .410, 20 and 12 gauge model also retains proven Mossberg features like a black rubber recoil pad for stable positioning/shouldering and recoil reduction; drilled and tapped receivers for trouble-free scope base and optics installation and rugged black synthetic stocks.

For extreme environments, opt for the corrosion-resistant Marinerr, featuring Mossberg's exclusive MarinecoteT finish. Special options include a four shell capacity Speedfeedr stock and Ghost Ringr sights for incredibly quick target acquisition in poor light conditions

DO RIGHT GUNSMITH, INC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so are you telling me that there is no difference in the quality or constuction between the two models?[?]
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please go to.WWW.Mossberg.com for all the details.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you work for Mossberg?[:D]
    Your wording sounds like it was directly out of an advertisement.
    uncle milo, I have no idea.
  • Options
    rusty1rusty1 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GET A REMINGTON 870 AND CALL IT A DAY mossberg is OK for the money but they are not all that if you think so try the mossbreg 9200 auto and see how many problem you have.

rusty1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rusty 1 I have a 870 but being left handed the 870 has been converted . looking at the mossburg because of the safety location. Will be leaving the shotgun at our cabin. several people will be useing it for home defence. seems that all of sudden we are being overrun by "large" predators. witch have no fear of walking up on our deck and looking in the windows.
    It is not just me all the neighbors now go armed when working around their yards or outside for any reason.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard a rumor that the military is no longer buying Mossberg shotguns because they had problems with the top safety breaking. I heard they went to the HK shotgun.

And whatever happened to that Mossberg Jungle Gun?

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older 500 model, I like the weapon ...simple, clean design. BUT I now have a problem with the safety. When your putting afew rounds out and pumping the action, the inertia of the energy to pump the action engages the safety! Gets to be alittle frustrating on quick follow up shots and the weapon is not firing after the first shot, and you have 100Lb.s per Sq. inch on the trigger BEFORE you realize the "damn" safety is on! Probably not a "good thing" to happen in combat. My 2 cents ...Mark

"FEAR the Goverment, that fears your ARMS"
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a 20 gauge for 23 years now. While it's not used all that much now. After 1000's plus round only have one slight problem. after shooting the first round and chambering the second the third drops out of the bottom of the receiver. Not bad for a gun I bought for $110.00 with my paper deliever money. Did you look at the model 835.