In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

8MM Mauser ammo

WhiskeyPeteWhiskeyPete Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering if anybody out there can tell me just how bad it would be for my Mauser if I fire old (corrosive) Turkish ammo in it. My gun is a Yugo type and not a collectibe, but I would like to keep it in pristine condition. I'm concerned about the corrosive nature of the ammo. I have no experience with it and I don't know just how badly or quickly the residue would damage the bore, or if there are any other potential problems to consider. Would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello everyone,
    I recently aquired a mod 98 8MM German mauser.
    will the 8MM Turkish mauser ammo work properly in this gun ?
    If not,why not,what's the difference and what do you suggest is the best ammo to use in the mod 98 8MM German mauser?
    Thanks...............WhiskeyPete

WhiskeyPete
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there any reason I shouldn't try to handload my 8x57 with a light bullet at high velocity, within pressures. I love my 98 but want more reach then the 200 grain bullets can do.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes the turk 8mm ammo will work in your model 98. Most of the surplus ammo is corrosive which means you need to clean properly to prevent rusting of your bore. Soap and hot water works well and is safe.

Mobuck
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I talked to someone at a gun show and he said that the stuff advertised as non-corrosive, from the 1970s is mildly corrosive. I've never read or heard that it could be slightly corrosive. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    MILDLY CROSSIVE=A LITTEL BIT PREGNANT. EITHER IT IS OR ISN'T. SOME CONTRIES USED CORROSIVE PRIMERS INTO THE 1980'S. IF IN DOUBT CHECK IT BUT 'POPING' A PRIMER ONLY AT A POLISHED PIECE OF STEEL AND LETTING IT SIT FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IN A HUMID PLACE.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have shot the Turkish 8x57 in my 1939 K98 without problems. I have found that I get a little better accuracy with the Portugese 8mm which I believe has a little heavier bullet. I think it is around 198 gr. I always keep some of the old surplus military bore cleaner that was made for corrosive ammo. It stinks, but works well. You can find it at most larger gunshows.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some surplus ammo puts out more crud, and is more corrosive than other surplus ammo. In other words, if not cleaned, the bad stuff will rust out your bore in a day, and the "mildly corrosive" stuff will rust out the bore in 3 or 4 days.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My own experience with the Turkish ammo has been quite satisfactory although one dealer I know stopped selling it after reports of misfires. Perhaps it is true, but perhaps he has no more to sell!
    Always assume that surplus ammo is corrosive! Exceptions: post WWII US, Canadian, Israeli. There may be others, but I deal with it as corrosive.
    Clean your bore ASAP and you should have no serious problems, The advice given about OLD style bore cleaners is excellent. Personally I douse with WD-40 at the range, then clean when I get home.
    Morty
    Have fun, be careful!
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the risk of this turning into a General Discussion ... what exactly did Axis soldiers during WWI and WWII do? I'm assuming they didn't stop the very second a fight was done and start cleaning their rifle. Especially on the Eastern Front, say during winter. Though with any soldier the cleanliness of a rifle could be very imperative to their survival so maybe they cleaned then within a day. Just some thoughts.....

GL
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a good question Green Lantern, and it pertains to this discussion, ie, How to clean after shooting corrosive. US Marines boiled up a pot of water, put soap in it. They removed the bolt, put the muzzle in the water, and ran a patch on a rod up and down the bore a dozen times. A whole platoon could clean their rifles in a few minutes. I am guessing this is what the Krauts did in the Eastern front, it should work at 30 below.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a reloader but I'm gonna chime in here. I heard that during WWII & before most of the primers in the ammunition were corrosive. The idea was that that they could produce the corrosive primers faster & easier than the non-corosive primers.

I heard from a friend that got a tour at an ammunition plant that to make modern day non-corrosive primers, they actually have to manufacture them under water. They do this because the propellant they use is so explosive.

As far as cleaning their weapons, I immagive every soldier was given a cleaning kit & expected to use it. These mauser rifles were supplied with cleaning rods. However, not all of them did, as we see pitted barrel guns everywhere.

Regards,

FREE IRAQ
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    It has been my experience that the Turk ammo is too hot for many Mauser's K98's. After several shots, you will find it getting harder to chamber a round. The bolt will feel like it's stuck.

It is also very corrosive, so avoid it if you can.

Blue_car.gif

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com