In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

star super b

joel1833joel1833 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
Im a new gunowner, I have a star super B 9mm pistol. I was wondering if aftermarket parts for the colt 1911 (for things besides the chamber and barrel, i.e. trigger, hammer, grips) are interchangable with the Star Super B?

Comments

• Options
    SnuffSnuff Member Posts: 74
    edited November -1
    virtually NONE of them are, without extensive modification. The compact, Star BM 9mm, $200 is a fair buy, because it's 7.2" long, and weighs 28 ozs, all steel, all machined. The big frame stars dont offer much, other than low cost. At least, you got the one that shoots low cost ammo, but 2c for .22 lr, thru a ($150, used) conversion unit on a 1911 frame, would soon make the (good, used, $450fully loaded Spld, etc) the better deal, if you shoot much, cause you'd be saving 10c a shot. $100 per 1000 rds, saving %500 is a mere 5000 rds. That's nothing on the way to mastery of the pistol. If all you want is a plinker, a used, $150 Browning Buckmark 22 auto, preferably a 4" skinny barrel) is the way to go.
  • Options
    dkfdkf Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which book is this from[?]SNUFF---Go play in the traffic[:)][:I][:D][:o)][8D][:p]
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,Joel-

You have acquired a good pistol. I assume yours shoots 9mm Largo; but perhaps you have one in 9mm Parabellum (Luger). Either way, ammo is available. You can get loaded 9mm Largo rounds which are not reloadable from CCI, and you can get reloadable brass from Starline. You'll also occassionally encounter surplus ammo, but some of it is corrosive. If you have the 9mm Parabellum model, you can get ammo almost anywhere ammo is sold! As for aftermarket parts, the only ones I've run across have been grips and barrels. There are several sources for the grips, and you can get new stainless steel barrels from Federal Arms Corp. That's about it, as far as I'm aware of. I have a couple of these, and enjoy shooting them immensely.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for reference, the Super B is in 9mm parabellum (9x19, 9mm Luger). The "A" model and "Super A" were in 9mm Largo. Parts between the Super A and Super B will interchange, but you will find that none of the parts will interchange between the Star and a standard 1911. They have a somewhat similar appearance, but not interchangeability. They are good guns however. I have had one for years and have sold many dozens of them over the years. I just had a guy yesterday telling me how much he likes his and how well it shoots.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put one of the shock buffers from a colt in my Model B and it seems to work ok so far. Other than that I don't know of anything that is interchangeable.

Mobuck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Say, Iarmsx, 'ol buddy--I've got two (2) Super Bs in 9mm Largo. Seems to be nothing unusual about them as concerns markings, etc. You are, perhaps thinking of the Model B, of which I have one in 9mm Luger?
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTW, it is LRARMSX with an "L". Sorry for the confusion, I was only basing my comments on what I have had over the years. The Super "A" and the Super "B" will be basically identical with the exception of the "A" being in 9mm Largo and the "B" being in 9mm Para. I have gotten this through having sold both guns many times over the last two decades, but I did just check the books and they too indicate that the Super B is supposed to be 9mm Parabellum specifically. I know GPC over the years has had 9mm Largo Super A barrels available. They will go into a Super B gun just fine and you can have a Super B in 9mm Largo.

I'll be the first one to admit that I never went to Spain and asked at the Star factory before they shut down in July, 1997 if they ever made the Super B in 9mm Largo, so I appologize for any possible erroneous information that I may have indicated. I was only going by my personal experience and substantiating that with what the Blue Book has to say. I've had the A, B, Super A, Super B, BM, BKM, F, PD, S, 28, 30M, 31P, M40, M43, M45, Megastar, Ultrastar, and possibly a few others as well over the years, but I know I've had those listed for sure. There are a lot of Stars out there and I would never want to say definitively that there isn't a variation of a particular model that does or doesn't exist. They've made a whole lot of guns over the years. My apologies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the I - L error. Gee, this thing has gotten blown way out of proportion to the thrust of the original post. No apologies are necessary,LRARMSX; be assured that I have always had the highest regard for your opinions.[:)] I, for one, think the closing of STAR was a great loss to the firearms industry. Seems as though you must also like them![:D]And, No--you can't have one of mine! [}:)]