In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Zeroing a Handgun

GblevinsGblevins Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
edited May 2003 in Ask the Experts
Having been an infantryman I can zero a rifle quickly. How do you zero a handgun with adjustable sights?

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top of front sight
    TO Bottom of rear sigth
    to Bottom of bull ring on target
  • Options
    rusty1rusty1 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    didn't know you could zero a pistol without a scope.

rusty1
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually handguns are zeroed for 25yds.
    The top of the front sight should be level with the top of the rear sight, and centered in the rear sight notch.

Move the rear sight the way you want the bullet to go, ie, if it is shooting to the right, and you want the bullet to go more to the left, then move the rear sight to the left.

You can set it for a 6 o'clock or center hold, which ever you prefer.
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plan 'A' is put it in a Ransom Rest and sight it in the same way you do a rifle. Plan 'B' is shoot off a sand bag rest trying to get as much of the human holding error out as possible and sight it in the same way you do a rifle.
    rusty1, scopes generally don't go on pistols. They go on revolvers. Although, you sometimes see .45 pistols being scoped. However, they type of sight is irrelevant. They call them 'adjustable sights' for a reason.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    !OK SUNRAY SO THE WORD PISTOL IS ONLY FOR AUTO AND REVOLVER MUST BE A HANDGUN AND ZERO IS NOT REFFERING TO SCOPE SITTINGS AND SIGHTING IN IS NOT THE TERM USED FOR ADJUSTING IRON SIGHTS I AM REALLY LEARNING A LOT FROM YOU.

rusty1
  • Options
    GblevinsGblevins Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rusty1:

Chill. I asked the question because of my ignorance. I now know what I need to know. He wasn't attaking you, just imparting some knowledge.

Thanks Sunray.

Gray.
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Just for the record.

The NRA booklet "The Basics of Pistol Shooting", the book that is used in the Basic pistol course says:

"Pistol is a gun that has a short barrel and can be held, aimed and fired with one hand".

"Many different types of pistols exist, including revolvers, semi-automatics, muzzleloaders, hinged actions, bolt-actions and air pistols. Although the word "pistol" is frequently associated only with semi-automatic handguns, it is proper to use "pistol" to refer to all types of handguns".

Also,
    Red dot scopes and the occassional 2x powered scopes are extremely popular in NRA conventional pistol (bullseye) competition semi-autos and red dots are very popular in steel challenge and action shooting with semis or revolvers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SORRY SUNRAY

rusty1