In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington model 37

LSandBincLSandBinc Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
I've read that only 12000 were made. Was wondering if it was because not a good rifle (I'm sure it was of the best quality) or was it too expensive. I hope its one of those guns that didnt catch on and is a great little rifle. I was wondering what its worth........I know condition and if its original counts for everything. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I just acquired a model 37 Remington Rangemaster 22 bolt. I can't find any info on this gun and am hopeing someone can tell me a bit about these fine shooting 22's. I could not find any on the auction side to get an idea of price, gun is excellant condition looks to be fired very little. Anyone know how many were made? The only book I got said guns made in 1937 had a barrel band, the letters on the barrel indicate this one was made in Sept, 1937 but does not have a band(?). Any help is greatly appreciated, Thank you.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    a fine rifle, remingtons answer to the m-52 winchester. i saw one on another auction sight for $800 w/sights and almost hit the 'bid' button.
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Mike said, it was Remington's answer to the M-52 up to about the mid 50s when the 40X was introduced. It is a very fine rifle but only around 12,000 were made so parts are quite difficult to come by. Everything is unique to the gun, clips, receiver sight adapters, etc. Although I am very fond of my M-37, if I could find an earlier 40X with the clip, not SS only, I believe I would try to move the M-37 and buy the 40X. One of the auction sites I visit has some owners manuals listed. While this won't give you much history, it will show you parts and how to remove bolt and so forth. By the way, to remove the bolt open bolt and pull all the way back. In the bottom of the receiver in front of the bolt face is a small hole. Use a pin punch to reach in the hole and depress the sear. Hold down while pulling bolt out the rest of the way. On mine, for some reason, I also need to hold the trigger back after the sear has been depressed. Hope this helps.

"What you do ultimately means nothing, and you could be replaced tomorrow by the first passing cretin." Corinne Maier
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    According to The Gun Traders Guide,2003;

Model 37 Rangemaster Bolt-Action Target Rifle (I)

Model of 1937.Caliber:.22 LR Five shot box magazine,single shot adapter also supplied as standard equipment.28-inch heavy bbl.Weight:About 12 lbs.Remington front and rear sights,scope bases.Target stock,swivels,sling.Note:Original 1937 model had a stock with outside bbl. band similar in appearance to that of the old-style Winchester Model 52,forearm design was modified and bbl. band eliminated in 1938.Made 1937-40.

With factory sights................NiB $550 Ex $425 Gd $300
    Without sights.....................NiB $475 Ex $400 Gd $225

Model 37 Rangemaster Bolt-Action Target Rifle (II)

Model of 1940.Same as Model of 1937 except has "Miracle" trigger mechanism and Randle-design stock with high comb,full pistol-grip and wide beavertail forend.Made 1940-54

With factory sights...............NiB $688 Ex $550 Gd $374
    Without sights....................NiB $494 Ex $395 Gd $269

Hope this helps,
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While what BOBBYWINS says is correct according to Gun Traders Guide, the real world does not bear this out. Generally speaking, I think those prices +50% would be more in order. I shopped around for a set of factory sights for mine and the cheapest I could find was $250 in fair to good condition with adapter. A 5-shot magazine will run from $65.00 to $100.00 depending on the greed of the seller and the desperation of the buyer. I don't know what, if any, sights you have, but with sights, (and there are several different ones, REM, Redfield, Vaver, etc), if you got into it for less than $650, you made a fine deal. As Mike W. mentioned, $800 with sights in exc. condition is pretty good. These rifles do not have the romance attached to them like the WIN 52 but will shoot with them anywhere, any time. The old saying goes that when the M-52 shooter is causing grief on a M-37 shooter by telling him that his M-52 willl shoot circles around his M-37, the M-37 shooter retorts with, "You're absolutely right. My M-37 will put them in the bullseye and your M-52 will shoot all around them"[:D]

"What you do ultimately means nothing, and you could be replaced tomorrow by the first passing cretin." Corinne Maier
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well the M 37 has a Redfield sight on front but only 1 insert. I do not know what the rear sight is, it has a disc inside the peep, this disc has 5 different hole sizes, it also has scope mounts. I would rate the 37 at an easy and honest 90% and paid 300.00 for it. I saw two on G**s A*****a one is at 1250.00 the other 1175.00, these had scopes on but I still figured around 750.00 in value.
    Shot it earlier today and love it, shot an 87 standing, good for me.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    This rifle is a work of art even the magazine and single shot adapter are milled steel not stamped like a winchester... most of the ones I have seen sell for about $750.00 - +++++
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    I love my 37. But then again, I love all my rifles.

The information that everyone has given here is right on the money. The biggest difference in the 37-1, 37-2 and 40 is lock time. That's the speed that the firing pin strikes the primer.

The early rear sights were made by Remington and have no markings on them except the patent number, 2,005,868. The sights were made well. You also have the correct rear disc.

My rifle is 98-99%, both mags, has all the front inserts and I wouldn't take less than a grand for it. But it's not for sale.

NRA life member, instructor and coach.