In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scopes for a 1891 argentine

GUNKEEPERGUNKEEPER Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
i picked up a varmint scope for my 7.65 arg, and when i got it home i realized the 1891 has a 90 degree bolt. Is there any way to make this scope work with the gun?

Comments

• Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ... have gunsmith replace the bolt to attain the required clearance.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GUNKEEPER,

The two most common ways of correcting this feature is to either forge the bolt handle downwards more towards the stock, creating clearance for the bolt handle as it intersects the scope. This requires a set of forging blocks that hold the bolt and act like a heat sink. Or the bolt handle can be cut off and a new one welded on at the correct angle to allow for the scope. Both require expertise in heating and welding and both will require filing and sanding in order to give a finish to the altered bolt.

Special care needs to be exercised to protect the bolt lugs from drawing too much heat which can change the heat treat making the bolt unsafe for use.

Best.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don' replace the bolt - you could run into headspace problems due to different fit. Not likely - and your bolt may not be the original to the gun - but better to go the bending route. Should cost about $50.00.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well the bolt is already bent as close to the stock as possible. It's kind of a have to see to understand thing. I'll take it into the local gunsmith.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well the bolt is already bent as close to the stock as possible. It's kind of a have to see to understand thing. I'll take it into the local gunsmith.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    oops didnt mean to do that twice
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know exactly what you mean gunkeeper, I had a similar situation, 90 degrees is a lot to correct, esp when it is already bent.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    does anyone know of a side mount that might work without spending more than 60 bucks.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your 91 is already drilled and tapped for Weaver or Leupold type scope bases Then have the bolt altered for low scope clearence. It can be done by heating and forging or by cutting and welding a new one on. The cost of a side mount and drilling and tapping more holes for the side will go a long ways toward paying for the bolt alteration if not equaling the cost.
    You may need a low scope safety also . The 91 safety lever is not as protrusive as a 95--98 and sometimes you can get by with it ,you wont know until you get the scope mounted and see if it will clear the eye piece on the scope. Bolt alteration is the way to go.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry - I thought the bolt was straight not curved at all. A Williams side mount with some high rings might provide enough clearance but won't give you a very good shooting position.

You didn't mention whether this is a rifle or carbine. I have the carbine and mounted a long eye relief (mount by B-Square)in the rear sight assembly for about $35.00 plus cost of cheap scope. Not a serious shooting gun, just fun with inexpensive ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    its a rifle. if i can't use the varmint scope that i bought, i probably wont put a scope on the gun.