In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best bullet for target shooting

dbrighamdbrigham Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'm due to receive my new CZ .223 rifle next week, and my intention is small caliber centerfire silhouette shooting (200 yards) at my local range. I'm not reloading (yet) and am shopping for suitable ammo right now. I'm looking at Hornady Custom and see it is available in 40, 55, and 75 grain bullet size. I'm guessing I would get the flattest trajectory from a lighter bullet and I don't need a big slug to knock over a silhouette target (assuming I can hit one!), so am leaning to the 40 grain round. Does that sound about right?

I'm also tempted by the Black Hills remanufactured .223, which is a LOT less spendy, and according to the literature, "is the same ammo used by the U.S. Army Marksmanship unit in 600-yd matches."

Opinions, please.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'd say start withthe 55gr. that 40 is too light for 200yds in my opinion. heck...40gr is a 22 hornet weight!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check to see what twist your rifles barrel has in it. If it's a relatively standard twist ( like 1 in 12" ) it most likely will not stabilize the heavy weight bullets. -- Anything made by Black Hills is generally accurate in a good gun............[8D]
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CZ is a very nice rifle, I have one of their 22s and a 45ACP. Nicely made. I think the Sierra 52gr BTHP is an all around very good performer for reloading as is the Hornady of the same specs. 200 yds might be stretching it a bit though.
  • Options
    armalite13armalite13 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dbrigham,
    Since you are not reloading yet, I would try a few different kinds out of your gun. I have had great luck shooting Winchester ballistic silvertip ammo. For factory ammo, you will be hard pressed to find a round that will shoot better. I too would stay away from any ammo 40 grains, 50 or 55 will more than likely shoot much better. Try the winchester ammo!! you will be very happy.