In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help Identify This Old Shotgun

jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hi all! I have a tough one here. Can anyone help me identify this old shotgun. Its my FIL's and all I have to go on are these pics. and what he tells me. It was his fathers and he is saying that it is from the 1800's. It's a double barrel, black powder shotgun. He can find no manufacturers name on it anywhere, just some proof marks on the bottom side of the barrel (4th pic). There are a few but the one that stands out looks to be a "cicle with the letters E over L G ? inside it." It has a "damascus twist" barrel, a little of it can be seen in the last pic. The wood work is amazing all over, with a stag engraved on the bottom of the butt. I know theres not a big market for these things, but he wants to sell it, so were trying to figure out who made it and its possible value. I appreciate your help, thanks!

jfhmwj.jpg

jfhopj.jpg

jfhpfn.jpg

jfhpw9.jpg

jfhs93.jpg

Ben

Comments

• Options
    yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.armchairgunshow.com/tufvalues.htm
    ELG proof mark indicates a Belgian made gun. This is all I could find so far. The stock on this one is beautiful.
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "LG" is Liege, Belgium. Thousands of firearms were produced there and many were exported to the USA. The percussion shotguns were in use until near the end of the 19th century, when cartridge shotguns replaced the cap and ball variety.
    When the Confederate States of America called for men to enlist, in 1861, many showed up carrying the same type of shotgun that you picture in your post. The Confederate Cavalry especially liked DB shotguns, because they got two shots before reloading and in the melee, their opponents were generally at very close range, which caused the shotgun to be very effective. Due to hard use, most shotguns were replaced by battlefield capture Yankee carbines, but if cartridges for carbines got scarce the shotguns would again be pressed into use.
    Your shotgun is nicely embellished by carving, sling swivels and what appears to be some silver inlay and ram thimbles. I would estimate that the gun would fetch between $200-$300 at auction. Perhaps more, but hard to tell by photos.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Belgian without question. Better quality than usual with nice fit and finish. Still in nice shape. That's most unusual.

Swivels are not uncommon as this is still the style for European guns (not British). Probably a leather strap at one time.

Style would suggest post Civil War era as would the proof stamp. My guess is as late as c. 1875. Tubes appear to be stub twist rather than wire, but the photo may be playing tricks. In either case this would be a somewhat cheaper damascus-type construction than the better grades.

If I were looking for a wall hanger I'd pay upwards of the $200.00 or so we usually quote for Belgians. Fit, finish, and condition suggest that this piece might still be considered a gun. Check with a smith and see if she's still up to a light load of black powder. If so, then the value rises a bit more because she could be considered a shooter.

All in all, a pretty nice old gun. Too bad it's hindered by the bad name of its Belgian clunker brethren, but that's life.

Happy New Year and thanks for sharing your photos.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't help with naming the gun but how about advice. If he wants to sell it buy it yourself and keep it in the family. A grandchild or great-grandchild is going to think very highly of that weapon someday. I know my sons would if it was owned by my grandfather.

Scout
  • Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    I can't help with naming the gun but how about advice. If he wants to sell it buy it yourself and keep it in the family. A grandchild or great-grandchild is going to think very highly of that weapon someday. I know my sons would if it was owned by my grandfather.

Scout

Thanks for all ya'lls help! Seeing how it doesn't hold much collectable value, my first thought was to scrape up the money and buy it myself and pass it down to my daughter. I think it would look nice hanging in my den. I'll have to see what he wants to do knowing what we know now about it. Thanks again!

Ben