In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Origin and Worth of Old Target Pistol?

Husker22Husker22 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
My father has an old target pistol. The gun uses .22 shorts. The right side of the gun has a marking that shows the letter "B" with a crown above it and the letter "U" with a crown above it. The underside of the barrel has a marking that shows the letter "F" with a crown above it and the letter "G" with a crown above it. Anyone have an idea about the origin of this gun and it's approximate worth? Thank you!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/Husker22/Pistol1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/Husker22/Pistol2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like a Guild made German parlor pistol.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Husker22,

These proof marks are relative to the pre-WWI German commercial and sporting firearms.

The Crown over 'B' is a German proof mark indicating that it has been proofed in assembled form.

The Crown over 'U' signifies final inspection.

The Crown over 'G' indicated that the barrel was rifled. (1924-1934)

The Crown over 'N' indicates that the firearm was proofed for Nitro-based powders.

The Crown over 'R' indicates that the firearm has been returned to the factory for a major repair or modification. If necessary, a second Crown over 'U' was was added if re-proofing was required.

Unfortunately, I don't see a reference to anything that resembles a Crown over 'F'. I'll keep looking when I have some more time.

Best.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid I used to buy "Guns & Ammo" magizine, mainly for the Garry James question and answer section. Gun Forums are even BETTER.