In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SA fixed sight adjustment question

roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have an Cimarron Colt SA clone with 7 1/2" barrel that shoots consistently 2" left at 15 yards. Vertical is not a problem. I know I can hold off 2" right but that is a pain so I would like to adjust the windage to hit point of aim, if possible. What is the best way? I have seen some guns the had the barrel turned and it looked like crap because the sight was setting so crooked. I've tried to calculate how much I would have to move the top of the front sight but somewhere along the line I am apparently using a wrong number because the distance I calculate is out of sight (pun intended).[:p]

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Distance to target (15yd x 36 = 540) / distance between sights (I'll use 8" as a example) = 540/8 = 67.5:1 ratio. divide the distance you want to move the bullet impact (2") by the ratio (67.5) to find the distance you want to move the center of the sight (.030 for this example). Now, you can try to get the enire adjustment out of just the front, just the rear, or with some movement of both.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Just a question before you alter your gun. How experienced of a handgun shooter are you?
    I ask this because of something I've noted in my own handgun shooting. I have a tendoncy to somehow pull slightly to the right when shooting handguns. Always have. I used to blame it on the guns and adjusted the sights accordingly. And it didn't seem to help much. Eventually I realized that surely not EVERY pistol shoots w/this exact same problem. It had to be ME! So I loaded w/one emplty cylinder and spun it so that I didn't know where it was in the rotation. Sure enough, I discovered that I was the problem. I've never had any formal handgun shooting instuction, so I just learn as I go. But I found that the way I placed my finger on the trigger was the problem. I used to place the trigger in the 1st joint of my trigger finger. But doing so caused me to slightly pull right then I squeezed on aimed shots.(Never was a problem on quick shots which are generally not all that accurate anyway). Now I put just the tip of my finger on the trigger and it works MUCH better for me.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great post Fatstrat! I Have had the same problem and same solution and have seen it with others. It is a very common poblem.
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to always shoot left with a handgun too. (I'm right handed and talking a 2 handed hold).

One day while watching some shooting show on TV, I noticed that I always wrapped my left thumb over my right (shooting hand)thumb but the guy on TV wasn't. I got out a gun and, in dry firing, realized that this kind of automatically pulled left.

This was no big deal with adjustable sights but caused problems with fixed sight guns.

This adjustment has corrected my problem completely. Take a look at your grip. Even if you're not doing what I was doing there might be some correction you would see could be made that was effecting the shot.

A good trigger makes a big difference too. If you're doing something "wrong" a heavy pull just exagerates it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner: Thank you for the calc's. I'm too embarrassed to say what I was doing wrong, it was so stupid. I guess I've shot rifle too long.
    I observed the reaction to group placement relative to the position of the trigger finger on the trigger, about 25 years ago when I was shooting in a rimfire league with my S&W M-41. One night I would shoot right a bit, another time a little left and so on. It was driving me nuts constantly making sight adjustments. Even changed ammo a couple of times thinking it was the problem. Finally figured out the trigger placement.
    However, I have no desire to spend a lot of time learning to hold this one handgun differently. It groups 2" left whether I use one hand or two. It is only for fun and a bit of nostalgia that I even have a gun like this. If I can just get someone to tell me the best way to adjust the sights on the gun so I can use my existing hold and, more or less, hit where I aim, then I'll be happy, at least momentairly.[:D] I assume there is an SA forum where all kinds of questions like this are answered but apparently I'm using the wrong search words because I'm sure not finding what I want. Oh well!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've owned some pretty cheap guns (RG's etc) and I've never had one that shot that far off at such a short range. I doubt that most of us have.
    Assuming your rear sight is a dovetail type, just tap in over with a small hammer. Experiment until you get it where it works best. I've heard of bending the front sight. But again, I've never seen it done.
    As far as turning the barrel. Sounds like you need professional help w/that. Or better yet, a different gun.
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Fatstrat
    What He Dog said . thanks.
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    The Ginral
    I got to try your method out. Thanks.
  • Options
    1armbandit1armbandit Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roysha
    I have an Cimarron Colt SA clone with 7 1/2" barrel that shoots consistently 2" left at 15 yards. Vertical is not a problem.

First of all, I would say if a Cimarron SA shoots only 2" off at 15 yards, that is not bad. To move the point of impact to dead center is less than half the width of the front sight blade.

Second, if you just have to make that minute of a sight adjustment, many of the old timers would slightly bend the front blade over to compensate. In your gun's case, the bend would be unnoticeable.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on the width of the rear notch, another option (if integral to frame and not set in dovetail) can be to widen the rear notch to move it's center inthe desired direction.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perhaps before some of you "experts" start telling how to fix something, you should know a little about the gun. A Cimarron Model P, Colt SAA clone with a dovetail rear. I think not!
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    roysha, you may not like what im about to say, but if you adjust your sights to your error, youre chasing dope. problem with that theory is if and when you improve your 'basics' and things start to click, youll find that your gun will start to move its group back to where it should have been in the first place. but by then, your gun will have been altered and it will take another trip to the smith to fix it. and when you start shooting other guns, once again, the guns will suffer the unjust fate of being altered for no reason. dont blame the gun, fix your habit.
    just some wisdom from a guy whos been there done that.

moving my finger sure is cheaper than a smith visit.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roysha
    Perhaps before some of you "experts" start telling how to fix something, you should know a little about the gun. A Cimarron Model P, Colt SAA clone with a dovetail rear. I think not!

Well, we work w/as much info as you give us. You remind me of a woman who goes to a mechanic and says "My car makes a funny sound. What's wrong w/it?"
    I doubt many of us are true "Experts". Just people that are willing to TRY to help you. Without seeing the gun, all we can do is offer suggestions based on our experiences. If that's not good enough, then you certainly have the option of seeking advice elsewhere or paying an "Expert".
    Sorry we don't measure up to your standards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Since I'm sure this is about to be locked, lets move it over to the General Discussion under the same heading.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rename the title, 'what should i do? ruin my gun or move my finger?'[:o)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.