In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS Barrel

GunFyterGunFyter Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
How many rounds will it take to "shoot out" a chrome lined barrel?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Chineese made SKS that someone has cut the end of the barrel off about three inches up from the gas tube.It is a real nice job but they did not take into account that the sight was in front of the cut,so I have no front sight.Does someone know of where I can get a new or used barrel?I picked this gun up real cheap but I realy cant use it with this short barrel.Thanks for any help[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a Yogo sks about three years ago. I beleve it to ba a modle 59/66 because it has a grenade launcher. Unfourtunatly, the barrel is shot out and the gas diverter valve is corroded, so its a one shot wonder. I have been able to get a new GDV but am haveing trouble finding a barrel. I have found several, but I am unsure if i can buy any barrel or if I have to get a certain barrel for this rifle. Any advice will be apprecated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    There is no real set amount as for round count and there are more factors to it than rounds fired like how bad the barrel is to start with, how it has been cleaned etc. Say a new unissued SKS properly cleaned after shooting and taking care of, not in your life time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Discounting things like leaving it VERY dirty after shooting corrosive primed ammo, laying in a swamp for months, trying to simulate full auto fire, etc- just normal shooting and cleaning- well, probably somewhere between 3 and 5 dumptrucks of ammo. Those things are very durable, and 7.62X39 is not an inherently "hard on the bore" round. Have seen very hot .220 Swift start to loose accuracy at 500-1000 rounds, but don't think you will see it on an SKS.