In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

sako 6mm ppc

pesch99pesch99 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I've got a bit of a dilemna. I've got an old sako, 6mm ppc single shot varmint. I think I bought it about 20 years ago or so, and it's still nib. I'd like to start shooting at 100 yards from the bench, and start reloading.

My dilemna is whether to scope it and start using it, or sell it and buy something like the kimber svt in its more standard caliber. I'm afraid if I shoot the sako, I might ruin its value as a rarity, or I might be disappointed in how it performs. If the kimber is a bit off, I'd have no problem swapping barrels, etc., whereas with the sako, again, the value thing.

The sako has nice wood, it says "vixen" on the box, and 54/200 is written on its label. Does this mean only 200 were imported? Its serial number is B313. What's it worth as nib? What action is it? (A1, L461, etc)? Is it likely to be a good shooter if I use it?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Sell it and buy a current production rifle . it is only NIB one time. The value will take a bigger hit on an older collector item if you shoot it then the same thing is done to a current rifle. To tune your load to any rifle is not just a few shots. Your Mileage May Vary
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the other hand......
    Ready for the sacrilege?
    More than once I've faced a similar situation and decided to enjoy the pleasure of firearm and pass on the dollar value. Will it take a hit being used? Absolutely. Are you apt to be disappointed in how the Sako performs? I doubt it. Personally I've yet to see any 2 Kimbers that I'd take for a good Sako; and I like Kimbers. It just isn't the same. You may want to run your question by the Sako Collectors. You'll get offers to buy, and urgings to use and enjoy, I'm sure. Your call; just be sure before you move.
  • klenisklenis Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont sell it its only made in very limeted edison..
    its a varmint benchrest from 89 hevey barrel..
    and cut a 1/4" at 100m 110 yard i got B340 here.
    In Sweden..
    its a B 461 whit a target trigger hi class.
    and no prodtion rifle match it from a box
    whit orginale sako amminiton