In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 29

fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
Buddy of mine has a chance to pick up a smith and wesson 44 mag 3' bbl I think model 29. I don't know much about hand guns but he asked me to look it over because I hunt and shoot a lot (rifles and shotguns) The only thing I could see (I think) is that the hammer does not either stay in the half cock position or maybe it does not have that function. I know with a wheel gun that hammer down on an empty cylinder, But is this the functioning of this particular handgun?

Thanks in advance, Fish

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, there is no half cocked position on this type gun.

In addition to checking for wear/corrosion in the bore, you want to check for tight lock up. To do that, empty the gun, cock the hammer & pull the trigger while easing the hammer all the way forward with your thumb; the trigger should be held back throughout this process. Once the hammer is all the way forward (while you continue to hold the trigger back), check the cylinder for excessive motion. Repeat for each charge hole in the cylinder.

Neal
  • Options
    lcdrdanrlcdrdanr Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S&W Model 29 is a double action revolver that does not have a half cock notch. The Model number should be stamped under the yoke on the frame, swing the cylinder out and you should be able to see both model number and serial number.
    If the hammer does not stay back in the full cock position, i.e. single action, then the gun has problems.
    Other than overall condition, with a revolver I check wear by:
    1. Point unloaded gun in safe direction
    2. Pull trigger back all the way, allowing the hammer to fall but don't release the trigger.
    3. With the trigger kept all the way back, the cylinder should be locked, if there is more than a minimum of back and forth or sideways movement, there is significant wear.
    4. Repeat for all 6 chambers, there might be a difference between them.
    With a transfer bar safety system it is not necessary to carry a modern double action revolver with the hammer on an empty cylinder.

Dan R
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The above post are correct, but to answer your question as to the function of this revolver, here go's.

This is what we call a double action revolver, where as the trigger can be set by manually pulling the hammer back, and that is a very light single action trigger pull you now have. Double action, you can just pull the trigger, and it raises the hammer, and indexes the cylinder all at the same time.

This weapon is safe to carry with all chambers loaded, unlike the old model Ruger's(the ones that have not been converted by the factory), and the Colt SAA's that do not have a transfer bar type system. That transfer bar system is where there is a bar that rests between the hammer and the frame, and unless the trigger is pulled and held back to fire the gun, the gun will not fire.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also check where the yoke and frame meet. Make sure there is no gap there.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Haven't seen many 3" 29s, should be 4 or 6 1/2.
    W.D.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The blued 3" 29s are fairly infrequently found. I believe Lew Horton distributed 500 or so. I bought one used a few years ago, sold it for $400.00 only to see the price go quickly up. They are out there but expect to pay $600.00 or so.