In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question of ffl license

jmecheruljmecherul Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
hi
i sold a pistol here on gunbroker.com. the person that bought it provided me with a copy of his dealer's FFL. the copy does not bear an ORIGINAL signature. it has a signature in red, but it is a color copy of his signed FFL. i checked with the aft, and it is a valid license, but the expiration date on the one send and what on the atf website are different. i mean, the one i got expires on june 1st 2008 and the atf says june 1st 2011. his dealer instructed him that the law changed and a signed copy, not necessarily in original, but a copy of the signed license can be used for shipping purposes.
can i get an expert opinion on this issue. is there a problem with the two expiration dates? can i ship this item to the dealer even if i do not have an original signature copy of his ffl? please let me know. any help is greatly appreciated.
jmecherul

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By "check with the ATF", I assume you mean you verified the FFL through the ATF EZ-Check. If so, you have no problem. A faxed copy is now acceptable. See FFL Newletter, August 2005, on the ATF website.

Neal
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are good to go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes, i verified the FFL through the ATF EZ-Check. i knew that faxed ones are ok too, but i thought it would just between ffl holders. i do not have an ffl.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    You say you do not have a FFL. In that case you are not required to have and keep a copy of the receiving dealers FFL. All that is required is that you know that you are sending the gun to a FFL holder which by verifying the FFL number you know. Just be sure it is shipped to the address listed on the web site. So you are good to go.

If you were a FFL holder then yes if you are mailed a copy of a dealers FFL it must have an original signature on it. A faxed FFL may have a copies signature but an original signature is still required on a "hard" copy of the FFL.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The difference in the dates means he just renewed. You are good to go, sending the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i cannot find a link to that august 2005 publication/newsletter. can someone direct me to it?
    thanks
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to www.atf.treas.gov
    Select FIREARMS
    Select NEWSLETTERS
    Select August 2005

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1