In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 62a

buckmeister2buckmeister2 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester model 62A .22 S L LR rifle serial # 1637xx in good condition. What is the approximate value and age?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am trying to find out when this gun was made and where it was first sold serial # 277412
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester Model 62A chambered for .22 s,l,&lr. Serial # is 137XXX.

There is no rust anywhere and there are a few longitudinal scratches on the barrel, probably from contact with a zipper on a case. The wood has very minor dents and scratches from field and target use. The bore is very clean.

Can anyone help with when it was manufactured and what it't worth?

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How can I find the year and value of my Winchester model 62A , serial # 133997??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How can I get the year of manufacture and a value for my 62A from the serial #133997??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert, et al,

Just picked up a model 62a, made in 1935. Very nice metal finish, maybe 50%, balance in patina and white. No rust anywhere, nor pits. Very nice stocks, with the exception that the buttstock was busted and repaired. Oval shaped crack about the size of a bluegill, on the right side of the stock. Very tight, cannot feel any crack/crevice anywhere, but when restained/refinished, it left a dark line all the way around the crack...very obvious.

Question for you is, since the crack is so tight and stable, would it be advisable to just leave it, or buy a new replacement stock, and finish that to match the forend? I am going to hold this for investment, so keep that in mind.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Cracked or not, original is original. I recommend you leave it as is.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless the repair job was totally botched, I would leave it alone.

Or you could refinish and restain the repaired stock to be more to your liking. That way you will keep the original, improve its appearance and not have to put out the money for another stock.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello buckmeister2,

Are you sure that it is a 1935 vintage rifle? The reason I ask, is that the Model 62A did not come into existance until September of 1938, and very few of them were actually made until late 1939 (Winchester was using up Model 62 receiver and guard assemblies during that time). Typically, Model 62As are not seen until serial number 100,000+.

To answer your question, I would leave it as is. To be perfectly frank, a Model 62/62A with only 50% of the factory bluing and a cracked butt stock, is not a real good investment choice. The collector value is only so-so, and it is not going to go up much over time. The Model 62/62A is a relatively common Winchester, and those with the best investment potential are the 80%+ specimens (and with no defects). It is a sweet shooter though[:)].