In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotgun value range

koolkiller6koolkiller6 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have been asked to sell my deceased father-in-laws Browning Light Tweelve. I'm looking for a general idea of what it might bring.
It is a Belgium made, some pitting on the receiver ( it was his closet gun ).He was not a hunter but used it to bring in the new year.It has what I believe is a date of proof stamp on the barrel of 12-70.I can not find any indication of choke on the barrel.Stock is 95%. The function is 100%.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello koolkiller,

The serial number will tell us what year it was made.

The pitting on the receiver really hurts the collector appeal (and value). Essentially, it is a "shooter", and is most likely in the $350 - $450 range.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    also the 12/70 means 12 ga. with a 70mm chamber (2 3/4").
  • Options
    koolkiller6koolkiller6 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen,
    Thanks so much for the input. It does have 1 * and Bert the serial # is 427160. One more thing, is it standard for there to be engraving on the receiver and checkered down the barrel( glare ? )?
    KK6
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    "One more thing, is it standard for there to be engraving on the receiver and checkered down the barrel( glare ? )?" Yes, there should be engraving on the receiver and a 'mat' barrel top would be right for this shotgun.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only way for a good accurate evaluation would be to give us some good clear pictures, and include all proof markings on the barrel, and reciever. Being a Belgium made gun, if the pitting is not severe, just a speck, it could have greater value, even though it is a pretty commonly found shotgun.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by koolkiller6
    Gentlemen,
    Thanks so much for the input. It does have 1 * and Bert the serial # is 427160. One more thing, is it standard for there to be engraving on the receiver and checkered down the barrel( glare ? )?
    KK6

The serial number tells us that it was manufactured in late 1953. As Mike stated, the roll engraving and matted barrel are standard features on the A-5 Light Twelve. Pictures would really help to evaluate the condition.