In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W MP-15's

firestar08firestar08 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just swooped one up while they have the $100 rebate. Wondering what everyone else thought about these... Any info you would like to share is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Smith and wesson's AR-15 .223
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    It is made by Stag and Stag makes great guns, you will be very happy with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    It is made by Stag and Stag makes great guns, you will be very happy with it.
    What sight should i put on it? Aimpoint?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The sight depends on two points:
    What are you going to do with the gun?
    What is your budget?

There are many great sights available, from 1X red dots and Holo's like the aimpoint and holosight, to 4 power combat sights like the ACOG. On top of that if you are going to be doing any form of long range shooting you might want to consider a nice variable power scope. A very good friend of mine has a 1-5X30 Nightforce on one of his AR's and it is great from CQB out to 200 yards. Another uses a Nikon Monarch 6-24X40, he never shoots at anything under 200 yards. So what works best for you depends on how you are going to use this gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking to spend $200 i want a red dot quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    The sight depends on two points:
    What are you going to do with the gun?
    What is your budget?

There are many great sights available, from 1X red dots and Holo's like the aimpoint and holosight, to 4 power combat sights like the ACOG. On top of that if you are going to be doing any form of long range shooting you might want to consider a nice variable power scope. A very good friend of mine has a 1-5X30 Nightforce on one of his AR's and it is great from CQB out to 200 yards. Another uses a Nikon Monarch 6-24X40, he never shoots at anything under 200 yards. So what works best for you depends on how you are going to use this gun.
  • Options
    dppatroldppatrol Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this may be stating the obvious,but the beauty of a flat top is that when you find an accurate load for the rifle,you can mount and zero SEVERAL sights,then use whichever is appropriate for the situation.if you can afford it buy military grade sights,it just makes sense.i have a stag(same mfr)upper,it was better out of the box than some of the much pricier ones i've had.you wont go wrong with aimpoint m series,eotech or acogs,and plenty for sale on gb.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dppatrol
    this may be stating the obvious,but the beauty of a flat top is that when you find an accurate load for the rifle,you can mount and zero SEVERAL sights,then use whichever is appropriate for the situation.if you can afford it buy military grade sights,it just makes sense.i have a stag(same mfr)upper,it was better out of the box than some of the much pricier ones i've had.you wont go wrong with aimpoint m series,eotech or acogs,and plenty for sale on gb.
    Im very new to AR15, to me it seems strange to spend more on optics then the rifle itself. I know you get what you pay for but im not looking so all the bells and whistles, just a reliable and respectable mid range sight.
  • Options
    dppatroldppatrol Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome to the club.my advice is beg,borrow,etc and get a good, used, service proven sight now,rather than slowly upgrade over time.i did,and now have a small collection of $100-$150 sights sitting in a drawer,awaiting my brothers birthdays.you have a good quality "base model"ar,the better sight you start with,the happier you'll be.also,there are websites dedicated to this type rifle exclusively.good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A rifle is only as good as the sight that is mounted on it, this is because you can only hit what you can see. But in saying that you do not need to spend a fortune on optics. Take a look at these, they are closer to your price range and still quality products:
    http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_holosight.cfm?section=General Use
    http://www.shopbushnell.com/product_detail.asp?T1=BSN+730132P&.
    http://www.shopbushnell.com/product_detail.asp?T1=BSN+730135

Of course if you want he best:
    http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=3