In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

warranty sevice for taurus good or bad?

sixgunbobsixgunbob Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a good compact carry gun.I have looked at springfield micro.Nice gun but a little pricey.I like the springfield xd sub compact.And I know springfield has excellent warranty even if you are second owner.A frined of mine had a taurus millenium 40 cal. compact.Is this a good gun?And do they compare to springfield warranty? thanks BOB

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Taurus warranty is good. I had a sight break on my Taurus PT-99 and I sent it to Taurus in Florida and got it back in 7 days.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does Taurus pick up the tab for shipping both ways on warranty repairs?

Neal
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To my knowledge you pay shipping but they stand behind thier product, sent a mod 85 back a few yrs ago and it was fixed like new.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    From my personal experiece with sending several Taurus handguns back for the warranty work (1 for work on a brand new gun, 2 for the lifetime warranty work on guns several years old) normally you have to pay the inbound shipping unless the gun is brand new and under the brand new warranty. Then, if you contact customer service they will usually pay shipping both ways. However, it usually takes about 6 weeks to get the gun back in my experiences. A time or two a gun had to go back twice because the problem wasn't fixed the first time.
  • Options
    wuchakwuchak Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was the original purchaser of the gun and I had to pay to send it back to Taurus 3x before they fixed it right. Average turn around was about 10 weeks. Soured me on the company forever.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus:

Read this:
    http://members.aol.com/Namerakis/Taurus_Repair.htm

Shop I worked part time at dropped Taurus altogether after getting tired of having to send some of their guns back for their Lifetime Warranty.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their service on warranty's is OK, but it is all to bad you have to use it as often as is needed.
  • Options
    AZEXAZEX Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like another whiny Kalifornia A-hole got the treatment he deserved.

I wonder what he had done to ruin the finish on it the first time.

Reading IS Fundamental. Taurus has never warranted "Finish, grips and sights" since forever...READ the terms of the service agreement.

D.

quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus:

Read this:
    http://members.aol.com/Namerakis/Taurus_Repair.htm

Shop I worked part time at dropped Taurus altogether after getting tired of having to send some of their guns back for their Lifetime Warranty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    AZEX,

I find your remark totally unappropriate, and uncalled for. If you use your fundamental reading, you can see that he used a load containing a black powder substitute. 200 years ago, when using black powder, the finnish stayed on the gun, and it is hard for me to believe that with modern technology that it shouldn't adhere to the weapon just as good these days. Why in the world would Taurus have a backlog in their warranty/repair department that is 3, 4 or 5 months long? Hmmmmm....top shelf quality there I suppose?

sixgunbob,

It is my experience, that Taurus or Mossberg labels are better left on the display. Try a Khar.
  • Options
    non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    AZEX,

I find your remark totally unappropriate, and uncalled for. If you use your fundamental reading, you can see that he used a load containing a black powder substitute. 200 years ago, when using black powder, the finnish stayed on the gun, and it is hard for me to believe that with modern technology that it shouldn't adhere to the weapon just as good these days. Why in the world would Taurus have a backlog in their warranty/repair department that is 3, 4 or 5 months long? Hmmmmm....top shelf quality there I suppose?

sixgunbob,

It is my experience, that Taurus or Mossberg labels are better left on the display. Try a Khar.

Since we're picking at details in the reading, how well did the finish last 200 years ago when using 'black powder substitute'?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by non mortuus
    AZEX,

sixgunbob,

Since we're picking at details in the reading, how well did the finish last 200 years ago when using 'black powder substitute'?

non mortuus,
    Just for furtherence of your intelectual ability, it would be safe to assume that 200 years ago they did not have a black powder substitute. I have seen specimens that quite a bit of the original finish still remains. Is there anything further you would like to be educated on?

EDIT:

non mortuus,
    Black powder was basically charcoal mixed with sulpher, and salt peiter. Both of those substances when comustion has been derived, produce some by products of sulpheric and hydorchloric acids. Those are very corrosive, and unless the firearm is cleaned well, will corrode.

The black powder substitutes have been gradually getting rid of the sulpher and salt peiter, for a non corrosive formulation, but most of it still is not smokeless.

The article in which AZEX was ridiculing stated that there were loads using a Goex formulation of such. In today's world there is no excuse for what happened to that gun in the amount of time it happened. If you took the time to look over that link, it looked as if the finish was painted on the gun.

moose,

I agree whole hartedly that they had a good thing, and then seemed to have lost it. It is truly to bad.
  • Options
    non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by non mortuus
    AZEX,

sixgunbob,

non mortuus,
    Just for furtherence of your intelectual ability, it would be safe to assume that 200 years ago they did not have a black powder substitute. I have seen specimens that quite a bit of the original finish still remains. Is there anything further you would like to be educated on?

Yes could you explain the chemical similarity of black powder and any of the past or current black powder substitutes and how these compounds might react with finishes made with modern technology?
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to stay out of the pissing match and just tell you that everytime I've had to use their warranty service, it's been good. Unfortunately I've been using it alot lately. Taurus started out with a bad rep, built it into a good rep, and now they seem to be going in the wrong direction again. I hope they get things turned around because it's nice to have cheaper variations of popular guns.