In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How are Ruger MK I II III 22-45 different?

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
Are there functionality differences in the various Ruger Mark series 22 pistols? Has Ruger quality dropped on the latest models? ( I overheard a gunshop staff compalining of Remington and Ruger's recent quality )

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Main difference is the Mk1 has no feature to hold the slide open after the last shot--the only way to keep it open is pull the slide(bolt) back and engage the safety. The newer models have upgraded internal safeties-10 round magazines-the Mk1 had a 9 round. The MkIII has a loaded chamber indicator and the magazine release is in a different location-where most releases are on centerfire autos.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the last couple of years I've added 3 Rugers to the dozens I've owned over the years; a 50th Anniv. Blackhawk .357, Hawkeye .257 Roberts and a 22/45. Been very happy with all 3. The Blackhawk had a "fit" problems that was fixed fast with no question, the 22/45 was a gem, and the Hawkeye is, IMHO, the finest boltaction Ruger has made yet.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    + what RCrosby posted.
    The 22/45 's that I've shot are very nice..operation and accuracy-wise. My favorite has the 8" bull bbl that shoots VERY well for me. Nice trigger right out of the box.
    The only problem I had was getting the re-assembly technique down, but after you 'get it' there's no problem.

I've got some Blackhawks that have been punching ragged holes with my handloads, and meat on the table for 20+ years. They make a fine SA revolver.

THAT SAID...some may say that I am holding the only real 'sweet-spots' that Ruger made/makes. There seem to be some unhappy users of some centerfire autos they make.... I don't know what goes on there.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the 10 round magazine will fit the older Mark 1s. When they came out with the Mark II they claimed that it had an improved trigger as well.
    It's also easier to grip the bolt to pull it back. That change is the most visable difference as you can see the cuts on the sides of the rear of the bolt.
  • Options
    non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I correct in saying the Mark3 has a plastic/polymer frame, while the Mark 1's (and 2's??) are metal?[?]
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by non mortuus
    Am I correct in saying the Mark3 has a plastic/polymer frame, while the Mark 1's (and 2's??) are metal?[?]

No. THe MKII and MKIII standard pistols have metal frames. the MKII and MKIII 22/45s have polymer/plastic frames. If you check out ruger's site, you'll be able to see the difference.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mark II 22/45 has a plastic composite frame similar to that of a my sig Pro The mark III 22/45 different (looking) polymer frame that is very hard to work with if you ever want to do a trigger job.
    IMG_1742.jpg
    there is a set screw that can't be seen in the front of the trigger guard. it allows the trigger only to travel far enough forward to reset the sear. that screw can't be put in the newer mkIII 22/45 as the material the frame is made of is to hard to get a drill started.