In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30" Barrel?

travis13travis13 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have found a good deal on a Benelli Super Sport. Only problem is that it has a 30" barrel. I am used to my 24" SBE II and wonder if you think a 30" barrel is too much for dove, trap, and sporting clays. I really would like to have a 28", but like I say it is a good deal.

Comments

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try it out if you can. two or four inches seems like alot in doors.
    When you get outside a few inches doesn't matter as much, it's all about weight and balance. Good luck.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Longer barrel helped me for sporting clay I follow thru alot better
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrels is like, umm "ball park franks", longer is better, and nobody brags about a short one.

Seriously, the longer tubes maintain your swing better (fewer misses behind), due to the added forward weight.
  • Options
    reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A shorter barrel is good for skeet but not for trap where size does matter and 30" is not the longest on the field. reindeer
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    If you look at the top competition guns for trap and sporting clays you will see that the avarage barrel length is 32" with 34" being used by most of the top shooters. Even in the world of skeet where you used to see mostly 24" to 26" barrels the 30" to 32" barrels are starting to be used with great success. As the other guys have stated, the longer barrel will help in the areas of ballance, follow through and sight radius. After shooting with a great 30" gun like a Super Sport you will leave the short barrels to home defense and 3 gun shooters.
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto the others on swing thru and balance. I don't feel that the recoil and barrel climb is near as bad either, but that's my opinion. About the only time the longer barrel is a downside is if hunting in really heavy cover (brush, really tall grass, ect).