In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Soule Sights

CHAIRMAKERCHAIRMAKER Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
Experts,

I am looking to install a Soule vernier type sight on my Pedersoli Sharps 45/70. I rarely shoot beyond 300 yards and I am unsure if I should get the "short range" or the "mid range" sight.

None of the literature I have been able to find gives the nominal range for these sights, only one review that stated that the "long range" sight would put shots 2 feet high at 200 yards at the sights lowest elevation adjustment.

If it helps, I shoot smokeless handloads with cast bullets between 300 Gn. and 425 Gn. in the area of 1700 - 1500 FPS.

Anyone have experiance with these sights ? Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    does anyone have any experience with the martini .22 rifles?
    I've seen several for sale and they look like they might be fun to play with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking to upgrade the tang sight on my C.Sharps 45-70 with a soule
    type. I've looked at Lee Shaver, M.V.A. and Kelly.
    There is a pretty wide gap in cost and i'm not sure where it stops being worth it.
    Any opinions or experiences?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apples and oranges, perhaps, but my Baldwin Soule Midrange on its Winchester Single shot is at the bottom for a 100 yard zero.

An MVA Scheutzen Soule will go a bit lower than the rest of their Soule sights, but most such sights, the minimum elevation is just above the top of the windage drum and it does not matter what the maximum is.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, for the Deluxe Pedersoli Sharps, it comes with a vernier sight. I had one, and it is adjustable in MOA, not for a specific loading, where as some of the ladder type sights are. I seemed to do well with it, and could hit gallon jugs out to 400 yards commonly, and at 300 consistantly. Cherry's fine guns might have some of these sights for the Sharps copies. The Soule sight has a better windage adjustment than the standard one that comes with the Deluxe rifle.