In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sending riffles/long guns

jmecheruljmecherul Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
hi
i have for sale on gunbroker.com a riffle. i stated that i do not ship to certain states due to me not having a ffl and those states require the seller to have a ffl. some people were telling me that riffles do not follow under this sure. are they right? what governs the sale and shipment of riffles. any great is highly appreciated.

also, some people were also saying that in states like new york ffl dealers can accept and transfer guns to people in their state from people from other states that do not have a ffl. by reading info on atf's website, it seems otherwise. if someone can take a look at one of my auctions and see if i am right about my shipment statements, i would appreciate it. here is one of the links: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98124067

jmecherul

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    This is going to be a very simple answer to your question.

It is legal to ship your gun to an FFL dealer anywhere that gun is legal. This is true for ANY firearm. Some FFL holders will not accept shipments from non FFL holders. This is NOT a law just that dealers choice.

I put "I will only ship where legal" in my ads to keep it easy. If it is an area that is questionable I make the buyer prove to me prior to shipping that is in fact legal.

Also it has been approved for FFL's to come by FAX and some will accept emailed versions as well under the faxed rule.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHat exactly is a riffle ?
  • Options
    jmecheruljmecherul Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, a bulky long gun i suppose is a decent explanation. for instance, i call the remmington rolling block i am selling a riffle. also, what snipers usually use are riffles.

jmecherul
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always called them Rifles.You need to drop one of the F's.[:)]
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    WHat exactly is a riffle ?

A riffle (also known as a swift) is a shallow stretch of a river or stream, where the current is above the average stream velocity and where the water forms small rippled waves as a result. It often consists of a rocky bed of gravels or other small stones. [}:)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are overthinking this. All you need for long guns is:

"Buyer pays actual USPS Priority Mail & insurance charge, plus whatever other USPS services you want. Payment by USPS MO or bank check. (C&R OK.) Be sure your FFL will accept shipment from a nonlicensee."

State & local laws are not your problem; they are the buyers. As long as you ship according to federal law & requirements of the shipper, you are OK.

Neal