In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1894 Winchester rear site

GunBuffGunBuff Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
Which rear site would be correct for an 1894 winchester 1906 24"round barrel in 38-55.
Thanks

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mike,

Almost any of the 24-series rear sights is correct. A fair number of them at that time also had Marbles sights on them.
  • GunBuffGunBuff Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert,and thank you for sharing your knowledge again.
    Mike
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GunBuff
    Hi Bert,and thank you for sharing your knowledge again.
    Mike

Hello Mike,

You are quite welcome. That said, I do need to add a bit more to my original answer. Your 1906 vintage Model 1894 was most likely a black poweder rifle, and it would be correct with a 22C, 22E, 24B, or 26A series sight. It could also have a Winchester 3-leaf express sight.
  • GunBuffGunBuff Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, you sure are an asset to this forum,what a wealth of information for us Winchester fans.
    All the best, Mike G
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,

Would a factory letter depict which sight it had on it? Or would it have to be a special order for them to address that on a letter from the Cody Museum?

Thanks Bert...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Bert,

Would a factory letter depict which sight it had on it? Or would it have to be a special order for them to address that on a letter from the Cody Museum?

Not normally. The only time I have ever seen sights listed in the factory ledgers for a Model 1894, is when it has special order sights (e.g. Lyman or Winchester tang sights, or a receiver mounted Lyman No. 21/38, etc.). Occasionally, I see a 3-leaf Express sight listed, but not always.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Bert,

Would a factory letter depict which sight it had on it? Or would it have to be a special order for them to address that on a letter from the Cody Museum?Not normally. The only time I have ever seen sights listed in the factory ledgers for a Model 1894, is when it has special order sights (e.g. Lyman or Winchester tang sights, or a receiver mounted Lyman No. 21/38, etc.). Occasionally, I see a 3-leaf Express sight listed, but not always.Bert is correct regarding the factory records seldom mentioning sight configuration. During my active years of collecting Winchesters I only had the sight configuration mentioned in a factory letter one time and that was for a Model 1894 Extra Light Rifle that was received in the Warehouse in 1901. The letter didn't mention the 3 Leaf Express Sight, but it did mention the "Lyman Front Sight".

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!