In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please help me to decide (SKS help needed)

Dangerous TDangerous T Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts

Hello, folks.
I have a choice of two SKS. Same price.
1) Chinese Milled SKS with screwed in barrel. Spiked Bayonet
2) Romanian SKS. Bladed Bayonet.

Both guns have: synthetic monte carlo stocks.
Chinese has picatinni rail mounted on the rear of the receiver.
Chinese is "Bore in great condition" rest of the gun in 98% condition.
ROmanian is "Near new condition"
Both are at the same price: $200.
I have heard good things about both. Chinese and Romanian.
PLEASE. HELP!!!
I only fired Russian SKS. However, I can't afford one. I will have to buy one out of those two. Can you, please, advice?

D

Comments

• Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the romanian is going to be worth more in the future.there wasnt as many of them brought into the country as the chinese. quality is about the same.hope this helps
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what you mean by "rear of the receiver", but I'm guessing it is the "receiver cover". I would assume the one with the rail is either a replacement, or someone has drilled holes in the original. In either case, that decreases the value & accuracy of the rifle. (Receiver covers are not stable enough for secure scope mounting.)

Since the original stocks are gone, there's no potential for collector value. I agree, probably no difference in utilitarian value.

Neal
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Concur w/the above. But sight unseen, I'd probably go w/the Rom.
  • Options
    dppatroldppatrol Member Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never had a romanian,but my chinese sks was disapointing,not very accurate,and the bluing poor.theres a lot of exc condition yugos out there that are all original,well made and in your price range.
  • Options
    SaginawgtoSaginawgto Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a newer Chinese SKS, (Norinko I believe) and a vintage Yugo SKS and I'd take the Yugo hands down. It's more accurate, doesn't jam near as much and accepts the bananna clips easier. The Yugo has a more solid feel too, it's better quality. I think I paid about $200 for the Chinese at Dick's sporting goods and I got the Yugo for $175 at a gun show. Hope this helps, take care
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Romanian, love it. Bought it about 7-8 yrs ago. Never jammed on me, not once. Probably put a couple thousand rounds through it by now. As accurate as I need it to be. More accurate than my Mini-30.