In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

suhl

terryroadpawnshopterryroadpawnshop Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Suhl 20 or 16 ga sxs shotgun that has r. bornmuller & co on the barrell. It has extensive engraving, a monte carlo stock and is in very good condition. I found info on some suhl germany manufactured guns but nothing with bornmuller as the company of manufature. If anyone could help me on where to find info and value information i would appreicate it.

thanks

Kevin

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are three generations of Bornmuller's listed in my reference, as being gunmakers in Suhl Germany. This is from th 19th Century, until W W II. Best for you to post quality closeup pictures of the shotgun. It might be able to date it from the proof marks? Photos would be the only way to appraise it, also.
  • terryroadpawnshopterryroadpawnshop Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are some pics I just took:

42908001.jpg

42908003.jpg

42908005.jpg

42908006.jpg

42908009.jpg

42908010.jpg

I appreciate any help!
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a sweet between the wars gun to me!
    But my glasses are at the shop and I can't make out the proof marks.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your photos aren't that sharp. The horizontal proof marks on the side of the barrel, might date it before 1912? It appears to be a 16 gauge, ( be careful , early 16's, might have a short chamber? ), maybe made as early as before the First World War? The condition doesn't appear, that good specially around the screws, and breech area. Needs restoration and/or a lot of TLC. Your going to have to get somebody who is willing to put time and money in it. Between $200 & $400 to the right person, would be my WAG.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes it does need some TLC but IMHO Horn trigger guard and unusual "SEMI side lock" action speaks of higher them utility grade shot-gun I think MORE then $400.00 maybe much more.
  • MPMP Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Richard Bornm?ller circa 1844-1908 was a well known maker and inventor. The company carried on for many years after his death but became more as a dealer and wholesaler of others work.

Looks like someone put a screwdriver on the cocking indicator (the one with the arrow) most likely it was gold filled at one time.
  • terryroadpawnshopterryroadpawnshop Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for all of the info. The gun is really in a lot better shape than the pics. I had my online manager try to get better pics than that but it appears to be a bit hurried. It's tight, and really looks to be above 90%. no rust etc. Oh well Ill have to tell my nephew he is going to have to keep his job. I appreciate it again for each of yalls time !
  • gunut 1gunut 1 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF I were auctioning it Id start it at $800 with good pics on at least a 2 week auction....That should be long enough to get people that are into German shotguns "aware" of what you have....But I dont think youll get rich off of it...