In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 788

luvtruckluvtruck Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a picture of my dad from 1973 holding an antelope and the rifle he shot it with. He wrote on the picture that the antelope was shot with a 6mm. The rifle he is holding looks exactly like a Remington 788 except it looks like it has a stainlees(or stainless color)bolt and trigger gaurd. The clip is black or is bluing like on a regular rifle as I know 778s to be and the barrel is also the bluing as on a regular rifle. The wood on the rifle has a blond colored finish.

Did Remington 788s ever come with a stainless or stainless colored bolt and trigger gaurd?

Comments

• luvtruckluvtruck Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Remington 788 in 22-250. From what I read Remington quit making the less expensive 788 to sell more expensive 700's. The 788 was and is a very accurate rifle. I can attest to the rifle's accuracy as my 22-250 is a TACKDRIVER. With the proper handloads it easily shoots sub moa groups. At some point I am going to shoot the barrel out of this gun. Has anybody heard of anybody making custom guns off of this action? or rebarreling a 788? Is that possible due to the way the barrel/action was manufactured?
    edited November -1
    When did production stop on the Remington 788 .308? I own one and really don't know anything about it except that it is a great shooter. Were they considered good rifles?
    edited November -1
    Can anyone tell me what all calibers the Remington 788's were made in and were all made in both RH & LH?

Thank you.
    edited November -1
    I had a Rem. Mdl. 788 many years ago in .222, Was this rifle made in .243? I liked the sleeved style action and it sure shot well. Maybe one of you have an old one around that you want to part with.
    edited November -1
    I just acquired a Remington 788 .243 cal in beautiful condition, but the odd thing is the bolt handle and shroud are gold plated and the bolt body is jeweled. Did Remington ever offer these options?
    edited November -1
    will a 700 bolt work in a 788? and will a 700 bolt handle work on a 788 bolt?
    edited November -1
    i have a 22-250 788 i want to rebarrel it so i was thinking going with a 204 what needs to be done for this to work if possible
    edited November -1
    I just picked up a in the original box (still has the "Big 5 - $129.00" price tag on it) Remington 788 in 7-08 and although it has a 2 piece weaver base included I'd like to go with a two piece turn in type. Problem is the 788 has 2 scope holes up front, one in the rear, haven't found anything listed.

Any way to mount a two piece on this thing? I thought the XP 100 and the Rem 7 have the same set up and I see they have two piece bases, are they interchangeable with the 788?
  • martinicadetmartinicadet Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rebarreling is no problem but the bolt head is too large. you would need to find a 223 bolt
  • konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is possible. I personally would recommend it. I love the 204 Ruger. Easy on barrels, absolutely no recoil. Now dont get me wrong the 22-250 is a fine round. I just prefer the small 204 Ruger. You will not have to find another bolt. You can have a qualified gunsmith install whats called a donut on your .473 diameter bolt face to a .378 which is for your 204 Ruger size case heads. I will recommend Shilen, hart, and Kreiger barrels. Have fun converting.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 22-250 case head, and body are much larger than the 204. This is going to be an expensive trip, as you are going to have to have the bolt modified, or find one for a 222/223 Remington, as well as a magazine to feed it, let alone the cost of a GOOD barrel(250.00 and up).

There a lot of people looking for nice 788's out there. It would be my suggestion to put the 22-250 on the auction side, and then look at a CZ 527 in the 204 Ruger. You will come out way ahead, because if you can not find a magazine for the 788, it will render it into a single shot. This is just MHO.

EDIT:

MIKE WISKEY,

That is exactly what I was getting at. His 788 could be well worth more as it is, then to do the conversion.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The 22-250 case head, and body are much larger than the 204. This is going to be an expensive trip, as you are going to have to have the bolt modified, or find one for a 222/223 Remington, as well as a magazine to feed it, let alone the cost of a GOOD barrel(250.00 and up).

There a lot of people looking for nice 788's out there. It would be my suggestion to put the 22-250 on the auction side, and then look at a CZ 527 in the 204 Ruger. You will come out way ahead, because if you can not find a magazine for the 788, it will render it into a single shot. This is just MHO.
    As above!!!![:)]
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    in addition to the above, the .22/250 magazine is larger (width) than the .204r further complicating things. and 788 parts are scarce as hen's teeth (or frog's hair).
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a CZ 527 chambered for the 204 Ruger. It has a maple stock. It is a real shooter and a really good looking rifle.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Going to a 20BR would solve the bolt problem....