In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S-M SPORTER. Who's hiding them?

Shansei45Shansei45 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Anyone got info on these little POS single-shot .22rfs? I've seen a grand total of THREE over the years surface and be offered for sale. I got TWO of those. Where are the remaining 597 that SHOULD be out there?

S-MSPORTERPOSED001_edited.jpg

Best regards ~ ~ ~ Shansei45

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that an "Alexandria, VA" stamp on the side? Probably an Interarms (or InterArmCo as I believe it was known in the 50's & 60's) offering. Just a guess, but it has a 1950's look to it. I have piles of American Rifleman mags from that period with "Ye Olde Hunter" and Klein's adverts, will take a look through them later.

But I bet someone answers first.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, dfletcher. Sorry, I should have mentioned I've got SOME info on these little guys, but I'd sure like to know where they are all hiding!

First off, they were written up in the American Rifleman Dope Bag in the Aug. '63 issue, page 78. Reported number produced: just under 400. Next was '85 Gun Digest article on single-shot pistols reporting another block of 200 serial numbers reported!

Those blocks of serial numbers are unlike anything I've ever seen on most guns. I own one NOT in any of those blocks, and saw another outside the known blocks of numbers. SO, who know???

Below is the only vintage ad I've got for them. Can't even recall where I ran into it. But it contains even more info on them.

Thanks for your prompt response.

SMSPORTERAD2.jpg

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music. - George Carlin
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    600 produced? You're doing good (considering percentage of total production in your posession).

The numbers produced, and the fact that it's been 40+ years out of procuction kinda answers the "where are they" question.

They'll surface for sale. Eventually They'll have to. Perseverance is the key here. But they'll surface in accordance with their rarity..which may very well be a needle twitch off zero. Perhaps submitting a request in the "want ads" section of major gun collecting forums?

In direct answer to your question, I know of no product recall. Best I can do. Keep plugging. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi givette. I suppose you're right that the 2-of-600 is a pretty good ownership ration consider the extremely brief production run and few numbers, plus the time that has passed. Also, they were certainly not widely known, like the name Colt or Winchester.

It took me YEARS to find one, once I learned of their existence AFTER collecting guns for more 60 years. Then I ran across THREE. I felt guilty about even buying the second one since I REALLY only need one for the collection. I allayed my guilt by saying I bought it as a trader.

Even the gun's creator, Sydney Manson, told one writer that the gun was a little POS. He especially remarked on the fragileness of the handle-to-barrel/action fastening. He said the company experienced MANY returns immediately. That accounted for the very brief production run and quick shut-down of production and customer service.

It may be that a lot of buyers experienced problems and simply tossed the gun after being frustrated trying to get repairs. It was mainly intended as a kid's gun or "tacklebox" gun, so you can imagine the TLC they experienced with this group of owners!

I guess I'll just keep searching and digging.